Home
Anyone running a long range rig under 10-11 pounds or so? I thinking of a Rem 700 S/A based build using a McMillan Edge fill stock, Badger M5 bottom metal, and #4-ish barrel in either 6XC or 6.5 Creedmor. If you've got a rig along those lines, pics and details will be appreciated grin
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Anyone running a long range rig under 10-11 pounds or so?

Mine falls under the "or so" part. whistle

6.5-284....11 lbs 7ozs
[Linked Image]

7 lbs 11 oz

M70/300 WSM
Talley
3-10 Leo M1
R17
155 Scenar

This rig will do pretty much all I need to do to pretty much any range. It shoots lights out and is incredibly user friendly and yet a decent weight for death marches in the mtns.

Dober
Originally Posted by aalf

6.5-284....11 lbs 7ozs

I added the "or so" part to take into account scope weight, which will be considerable as either a Nightforce 5.5-22x or a Schmidt & Bender PMII 10x42 will be going on this rifle... geez, just typing that made my wallet groan... Oh well, cheaper than trips to Vegas crazy
At a tad over 13 lbs, not exactly a Lightweight, but as far a Tactical Comp rifles go, it's svelte:

[Linked Image]

Rem 700 SA
26" Rem Varmint Barrel Cal 7mm-08
Seekins DBM System
Original Old style Rem Trigger
US Optics SN3-3.2-17x44MM T-Pal, EREK, Illum., Mil Gap Reticle
Badger Ordnance Alloy 30mm Low Rings and Alloy 20 MOA Base
McMillan HTG w/pillars, bedded. 2 flush cups, Sniper Fill
KRG Bolt Lift
US Optics Fixed Ext Cant Indicator
Seekins SRS Rail on fore-end
Atlas Bipod

6.5-284....11 lbs 7ozs

I added the "or so" part to take into account scope weight, which will be considerable as either a Nightforce 5.5-22x or a Schmidt & Bender PMII 10x42 will be going on this rifle... geez, just typing that made my wallet groan... Oh well, cheaper than trips to Vegas crazy

Mine does have a 5.5-22x56 Nightforce in Seekins rings and bases, bedded in an A-5, with a 30" Rock tube.

[Linked Image]
7.5 lbs ss 700 BDL in 300WSM, MPI Kevlar stock(Cascade style) 24in bbl with brake. 4-12x40 Leupold. This rifle is the one I currently take to the "big" fields. I only shoot 150gr Accubombs through her. Got one center lung at 385 last year.
8.5#, mark bansner UR-1, 7mm STW
[Linked Image]
RR
Another STW, sadly just sold.

9 lbs, 2 ozs with a 28" Lilja, McM Sporter, 4.5-14 Mark IV.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These pics are the same rifle in slightly different configurations. They are both in the 10-11 lb range (without the bipod). The bipod is about 1 lb.

Rem 700 Varmint 308, cut to 20.5". Alloy Badger M4 bottom, Talley LW 30mm, Leupold 3.5-10x40, McM HTG sniper-fill.
[Linked Image]

Same rifle, but Seekins alloy 20 moa base, TPS 1" alloy rings, Leupold 2.5-8x36.
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the pics guys, keep'em coming grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Currently 9 lbs 15 oz, which is pretty lightweight for something that flings .8+ BC bullets at 2860 fps.

300 RUM
27" 1:8 Benchmark, #5 Lilja contour with extended shank
McMillan Medium Fill
Murphy Precision Ti Rail
AADMOUNT Rings
March 3-24X42
This one's right at your weight range...

6.5 WSM; 27" deep fluted barrel plus brake

Mcmillan standard fill HTG

Williams BM, Jewell trigger

Haven't really gotten to stretch her legs, but she does like the 140Bergers around 3200 fps. Longest kill this past year was 550.
[Linked Image]

This one is really light...

GAP nontypical 7 WSM with 24" #3 bbl, Mcmillan edge stock. No problem getting 3300 fps with the 140 AB's. She's around 7 1/2 lbs with the scope, and although more difficult to shoot itty bitty groups due to light weight, I have no problem shooting 3/4 MOA groups at 700 yards. It's an all arounder- a rifle to use both on close range stands, as well as the occasional long range shot
[Linked Image]

6-284 weighs in at 9 lbs 8 ozs.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

aalf, what contour is your barrel?
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

aalf, what contour is your barrel?

It's a 28" Lilja fluted #5 weighing in at 3 lbs 2 ozs.
LH Savage 111 action, nutless 26" PacNor #2 in 280AI, Burris 4.5-14 FFII with TacII turret, EGW Picatinny rail, Weaver Tactical Picatinny rings, generic bipod, cheap azz Savage IM stock.

9lbs. 14oz. with bipod.

I don't know if the McMillan Classic standard fill I have ordered will reduce the weight any but sub 10lbs works for me.

[Linked Image]
It's been pushing the 162 Amax down range at just over 3000fps with potential still untapped.
Alot of nice blueprints!
Rem 700, pac-nor fluted barrel,Bansner,leupy vx3 4.5-14, in a 338 ultra. It weighs 7.5, muzzle break is not optionable. I've been running 210tsx's and 225 sst's at around 3150 in it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M700 in .300 SAUM
Mickey Classic ADL in Arctic Camo with regular fill.
Carving by Kampfeld.
PTG shroud, pin and trigger guard.
Talley Lightweights.
VX3 2.5-8x36 with M1 turret on the way..

Comes in at 8 lbs. on the nose, stuffed and slung..

Feeds smooth as silk, and Dober is gonna love it. grin
I would love it if...you added a Jewell to it..grin

One can do one heck of a lot with a 8 lb rig and to a long long range!

Dober
Wait' until you tryyyyyy ittttt.... grin
My long range rig is a plain factory Pre-64 M70 264 Win Mag. It shoots 140 gr VLD's with Retumbo 3200 fps. I topped it off with some Talley Lightweights and a Minox ZA5 3-15. I love this rig and don't think I will ever change a thing with the rifle.
[Linked Image]
Nice!
Damn nice!
Damn, damn nice.
Don't know if this qualifies as a long range rig because I've only shot it to 600 yards but:

R700 LA .270 in a KS stock and a 6X42 Leupold.

[Linked Image]

All of 7 pounds and can shoot like this up close (102 yards):

[Linked Image]

at least it can till the barrel gets hot!

This one goes 8 1/2 lbs. unloaded. Brand-new, so I haven't shot it past 100 yards yet, but the groups look promising.

6.5-06 Ackley
24" PacNor #2
M70 Classic/McMillan
Talleys and a VX-3 with an M-1.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...00532/Hope_this_thing_shoots#Post5300532
[Linked Image]

R700SA, .308
GAP built
Rock #3 BBL.
mcmillan EDGE stock
7.5 pounds[Linked Image]

That's a real Bear. Very nice pictures.
Nice rigs guys, thanks for posting.

Scenar: Is that the S&B 10x42 on your GAP 308?
That's correct...a good scope for most of the country I hunt out here..
Nice, how's the balance with the Edge stock and Talley rings? Are you running Badger's DBM in any of your lighter rigs?
[Linked Image]

I am on this GAP .260...pretty much a knock off of the .308 except Badger M5 bottom and a Templar action with a one piece bolt. It goes a bit heavier with the M5 instead of the Badger M4 hinged floorplate(alloy) on the .308. Plus there is a bit more steel in the tube being it's a smaller diameter bore.(both are #3 Rocks, 24") Balance is very close to the same...right in front of the front guard screw on both rigs. If I had to do the .308 over again, I would go with the M5 as well...
Thanks for the pic, that's the McMillan "compact" Edge pattern? I've got a stock in that pattern on one of my Model 70's and really like it.
Model 70 Coyote in .300 WSM, a tad under 10 pounds. Accurate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Right on....I agree, it's a nice, trim design with a good feel. Super light and strong. If I recall, I weighed it before I sent the parts to GAP and the stock was only 20 ounces or so...
Thanks Scenar, I was wondering whether the M5 would fit in a Compact pattern stock. That's likely what I'll be ordering when I get around to putting this rifle together.

GuyM: Nice Winchester, the Coyote laminate stocks were pretty nice, similar to the older Winchester Marksman stocks although a tad bulkier in spots.
10.5 lbs and 1000yds

[Linked Image]

10.5 and something over a mile.
[Linked Image]
That yote vid is my all time fav!

Dober
[Linked Image]

For more precision...

[Linked Image]
Very cool how you shot all those holes around the edge of that gong - although you were probably shooting for dead center... grin

Nice shooting John - it's been a long time since I've sent a bullet beyond 1,000 yards.
here's mine.
a winchester model 70 classic in 300 wsm.
mcmillan edge, and topped off with talley's and leupold 2-7x28.

took my first bull elk with it at 402 some years ago.
it balances just in front of the front action screw.
digital bathroom scale says 6.8 pounds.

[Linked Image]

Nice rig, Mark....
Originally Posted by 65BR
[Linked Image]

For more precision...

[Linked Image]

Don't laugh, Galiath did till it was too late.
That's not mine, but I have made/used several in my youth, fun, lots of range, though takes LOTS or practice. Now the other kind, using rubber - took my share of local small game.

I think they are employed out West by a few who need to get game out their beds i.e. Mulies.

About as light as a lethal weapon can be that I know of - accuracy is 'user dependent' as always wink

Very nice rigs above btw.
Remington 700 XCR 300 UM in Alaskan TI stock, Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 aprox 9.5 lbs.

338 UM ,Blue printed Rem 700 action,Lone Wolf stock,Bedded,Pillars,,Douglas 26 inch barrel,Harris bipod. 11 lbs 2 oz

Attached picture rsz_p6110898.jpg
Attached picture rsz_p6110900.jpg
Attached picture rsz_p6110910.jpg
Attached picture rsz_p6110907.jpg
[Linked Image]

Score High 6.5 Creedmoor, 26" Brux stainless 1-8, Badger bolt knob and bottom metal, AI magazines, McMillan Remington varmint, Leupold Mark IV FF LR/ERT FF M5 8.5-25, Score High hunting brake, Harris S-LM 9-13"

139 grain Lapua Scenar
40.9 gr. H-4350
WLR
Hornady brass
2830 fps
10.5 pounds

[Linked Image]

Score High .264 Winchester Magnum
Same components
Jewell trigger and magazine
Leupold VX3 LR 6.5-20 Varmint Hunter reticle, target knobs
Nosler brass
130 gr Swift Scirocco
80.5 gr WC-872
3275 fps
10 pounds
Remington SA Left Hand 260 Rem 7.6 lbs loaded
Leupold mark 4 3.5x10
24" 3 grove 1 in 8 twist fluted pac-nor barrel
Brown precision custom stock
Shilen trigger
Sako extractor
Tubb speedlock system[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This 1 could've been lighter (9 lbs.) but i went with the big Pac-Nor for addtl. weight in this 7-twist barrel to help with the torque generated by the 200 Wildcat out of a 7-270 WSM. Doesn't get much more portable though----

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by nsaqam
It's been pushing the 162 Amax down range at just over 3000fps with potential still untapped.

have you shot any game with the 162gr A-Max?
Originally Posted by BBerg
Originally Posted by nsaqam

have you shot any game with the 162gr A-Max?

No I haven't but given the glowing reports I hear from people I trust (Big Stick for one) I have every confidence that they'll do the trick just fine when I do.
[Linked Image]

Nothing too fancy, really. But it shoots 140 AccuBonds and TSX's dead nutz as far as I've ever tried it(600m).

70 S/S 7-STW
Factory barrel recrowned and hand-lapped
Action trued/boltface squared
Improved the bedding
Factory trigger at 24 oz.
Weaver Grand Slam 6-20
Weighs in at 9-10 IIRC
Originally Posted by megalomaniac

GAP nontypical 7 WSM with 24" #3 bbl, Mcmillan edge stock. No problem getting 3300 fps with the 140 AB's. She's around 7 1/2 lbs with the scope, and although more difficult to shoot itty bitty groups due to light weight, I have no problem shooting 3/4 MOA groups at 700 yards. It's an all arounder- a rifle to use both on close range stands, as well as the occasional long range shot
[Linked Image]

That's a nice rifle! What action?
Looks to be a M700 or a M7. Great looking rig!
[Linked Image]

Remington 700 in 6.5-06 running a Hart 8 twist. 6 pounds 4 ounces. 7 pounds and an ounce with the scope. Shot it yesterday at 650 yards laying prone with a bipod. Scoped tracked perfectly and despite a quartering wind, it stuck my only 4 rounds into 7", with 3 of those in 2.5". Favorite rig I have.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
here's mine.
a winchester model 70 classic in 300 wsm.
mcmillan edge, and topped off with talley's and leupold 2-7x28.

took my first bull elk with it at 402 some years ago.
it balances just in front of the front action screw.
digital bathroom scale says 6.8 pounds.

[Linked Image]

Nice Mark, I like that Edge stock A LOT!
Rem 700cdl .257wby
[Linked Image]
Rem 700 mountain guide 7mm-08
[Linked Image]
Rem 700 bdl 7mm rem mag
[Linked Image]
Rem 700 bdl 300 RUM
[Linked Image]
All under 10#, the 7mm-08 is under 7#
Rem 700 Ti, 6.5-284, Lothar Walther 1/8 twist 24".
Leupold 3x9 Mark 2 scope, Talley rings.

Likes 140 Bergers at 3,000 mv and 123 Scenars at 3,200 mv.

Pack, MR Grizzly with a Long Pocket.

6 lbs 6 oz as you see it.
[Linked Image]
Love that rig there...
Had Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles build my little Pierce last Fall.

Pierce SA
Broughton, 26" #3 5C, 8 twist
McMillan Rem Sporter, Edge filled.
Rifle Basix @ 2.5 lbs
Farrell 20 MOA alum base and 30mm rings
NightForce 2.5-10x32mm with NP-R2 reticle
PTG alum BDL floorplate and bolt knob
Rem mag box, follower/spring
Cerakote in black and stock in grey

8 lb 10 oz.

6.5x47 Lapua

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, far it likes 140's.

Partitions
[Linked Image]

and VLD's

Shot this yesterday am @ 576 yds; .53 MOA

[Linked Image]

I then shot a 576 yd ladder using Ramshot Hunter and the 140 VLD.

My accuracy node was with the last three shots. Their's 1.25" of vertical with .5 gr charge increase between each shot.
[Linked Image]

Alan

Probably not quite what you were looking for but it is lightweight at 6.25 lbs as seen. Rifles Inc. .284, 23" tube, Talley lightweight rings. 140-gr TTSXs at 3050 fps with R17. Leupold CDS 3-10 elev turret. I built it primarily as a deer and sheep mountain rifle--I guess this is my idea of that.

[Linked Image]

I'm not a real, real long range shooter but I've shot 5-7" 3-shot groups at 700 yds which means it can probably do better and should suffice for its intended purpose. smile
Really nice rifle....
This rig weighs 12.5 lbs with the sling and bipod attached.

It's a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 308, 26" Rem varmint bbl. HTG stock with sniper fill. Alloy Badger M4 bottom metal, Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 in Burris Signature DD rings/base.

[Linked Image]

It should be easy enough to hit your desired max 11 lb weight, with edge stock , flutes, and a sensible sized scope.
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm zeroing in on a firm blueprint:

Remington 700 short action, .473" bolt face
Badger M5 bottom metal
EGW 20MOA base
Burris Signature 30mm rings
Jewell trigger
McMillan Edge stock, Compact Edge pattern
Barrel contour to be determined
Scope to be determined, though likely a Leupold with M1 adjustments.

Caliber is still up in the air; I lean .308 because of the profusion of good loads, but the 6mm's and 6.5mm's give great ballistics with less recoil and a bit less powder. Decisions, decisions...
Gettin custom envy. Got a lot of standard rifles that have little tweaks but have never done a trued action, custom barrel, trigger, etc.

Got a line on an early M7 .308 for fairly cheap but deathly afraid the factory barrel will shoot bugholes and derail my plans for a 8 lb. 260 precision rifle.

Topped w/ loopy 2.5-8x36 FX3 M1 turret. Comes in at 8lbs 1oz stuffed and slung. Going to run some 185 VLD's over RL 17 tomorrow and see where it's at.

[Linked Image]

lightweight eh ?
here's my 338 rum.
1 cow elk so far under her belt at 700 yards.
weight ?
haven't weighed her yet.
someday a mikey or a custom wood stock is in the future.
shown with 2 custom knives, and back straps from the cow she killed.
[Linked Image]

Noted.

Question for the peanut gallery,

Is a heavier rifle barrel really necessary for long range "big game" hunting?

After all were taking just one or two shots to kill an animal.

I use a #1 barrel and reaching and hitting at 1000 is not that difficult.

So why do we need heavier barrels?
Good point SU,

For a mtn rig I've always preferred a barrel around a #2 or 3 contour (.620"-.630" MD). Not too light but not too front heavy either. I've been in many big game hunting situations where I've had to run or am breathing heavy from the hike and a little weight out there helps me settle in quicker for the shot. Little details like that can make or break a hunt. I don't like packing a rig over 8lbs up in the high country where one is climbing and the air is thin. Sometimes one has to use both hands when climbing and a lighter rifle is just easier all around (but not muzzle light). My LR limit is about 500yds max I might add, definitely not in the same league as some of these guys!

MtnHtr

Posted this picture before, but at the moment, this is my go-to hunting rig for when a long shot is needed:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SU35

Noted.

Question for the peanut gallery,

Is a heavier rifle barrel really necessary for long range "big game" hunting?

After all were taking just one or two shots to kill an animal.

I use a #1 barrel and reaching and hitting at 1000 is not that difficult.

So why do we need heavier barrels?

Good question...I don't think a guy does, although some prefer them.In a standard case 6.5 through 7mm, I'll take a #1 along the lines of a Krieger or Brux,and a #2 for anything on a magnum case in the same calibers.

A #2 Krieger has been my standard in various 7mm Mags for years.Last Sunday I shot my Mashburn Super with a #2 Krieger at 600 yards with plain old 139 Hornady's...I suspect anything I drew down on woulda been in for some hurt.

In a BG rifle to be lugged in my hands in rough country,I would never go above a #3,and I don't talk about #4's until I get to 375 cal or thereabouts.

Bob, I'm obviously not one of the tactical/dedicated long range shooters though I do regularly do 400-600 yds. For me, the strain of carrying a heavy rifle in the field overcomes any recoil issues when focusing on the game shot at hand. And all that's based on the assumption that a light rifle can be as accurate as a heavy one. And in the case of my one really light rifle, it's not an assumption.
Just for your information, I have a Remington 700 VSFS in .308 that goes 10.5 lbs. empty and w/o a sling. Has a Leupold VariXIII w/ target knobs. Has had it's factory trigger rebuilt, and has an M40A1 FP&TG. The intallation of which increased the magaziner capacity to 5 rds.
The fluted barrel is 26 inches long and it has a .800 muzzle.
Steel Badger one piece, 20 MOA base and steel Leupold Mk.4 Rings.
Shoots many loads from .4 MOA to about .7. E
Ditto on heavy heavy feel to help with out of breath shots. So does a good shooting sling.
I've found that a 24 inch barrel with a .600 muzzle works best for me as a rule. That can be easily had in a 7 1/4-7 1/2 lb. empty rifle. E
There's a reason why I've long had a rule of no less than .6" at the mzl, for me I find it helpful to stay to that!

Side note, wonder how many of our Snipers in the various forces use a flyweight tube...?

Dober
George,I get it.....BG hunting is generally a one or two shot game...if it goes much beyond that I call it a "rodeo"....something went wrong,or the rifleman did not "know" he could hit.

My #1's and #2's have performed well.....I have been a few places where people tried to buy the rifles on the spot... smile

It's important not to go too light for the caliber.....for example I think the barrel on Dober's 300 WSM is perfect and I would not really want one lighter than that.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
There's a reason why I've long had a rule of no less than .6" at the mzl, for me I find it helpful to stay to that!

Side note, wonder how many of our Snipers in the various forces use a flyweight tube...?

Dober

If it where always like the movies (one shot one kill) a fly weight wouldn't be that bad. Definately easier to carry. When your working from an overwatch position it can be more like a busy varmint field. And shots aren't always from a classic prone position.
While my new LR rig is not a built gun but well tuned to my clearcut hunting,I will have no problem with the 300-350 yard shot with my 6.5 Creedmore Ruger 77..It's total # is 9lbs with a 3.5-10 Leupold....the little deer here won't be able to stand the 120gr AMAX!
I have not weighed either of these, but they are much lighter than my real long range rigs and very capable to 1K+

7WSM Stiller predator, kreiger, jewell, roberston composits stock, I changed scopes since this photo it now wears a hensoldt.

[Linked Image]

I guess I am not a light gun fan for long range as most of my LR rigs are 12lbs plus.

This 7 RUM may be considered LW for one of my LR rifles. I think I am going to swap this stock over to my 6.5WSM and stick this barreled action in an a5 I have layint around.
[Linked Image]

I have shot this 270 using 140 bergers past 1K several times.
[Linked Image]

I guess my only consideration for posting in this thread would be weight because I think everything I own is a long range rifle.
.264 Win Mag, 27.5" #3 stainless Lilja, Rem 700, 9 pounds 2 oz with 4.5-14x40 Nikon, aluminum bottom metal, Talleys and teflon.
Kills stuff. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/2010%20Wyoming%20Antelope/P1050139.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040427.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/richman_mark/P1040401.jpg[/img]
and you wanted to sell that rifle not long ago.

glad you didn't, it's beautiful, and i am sure it would have broken your heart if it did sell.

Thanks, didn't want to sell her, but was pretty broke. Desperate times, desperate measures and all that... I know I would have regretted it and I'm gland no one made me an offer.
Every time I see that rifle I start to drool
Originally Posted by Rogue

Dober

If it where always like the movies (one shot one kill) a fly weight wouldn't be that bad. Definately easier to carry. When your working from an overwatch position it can be more like a busy varmint field. And shots aren't always from a classic prone position.

Rogue is spot on. A "target rich environment" can heat up a barrel real quick. Some of my COF during a sniper match will have me putting out 10 rounds in 60 seconds with a mandatory mag change to liven things up.

But a super light weight barrel can still shoot. Here is my 30-06 Ackley with a 26" Lilja that has a muzzle dia of .552" running 180 BT @ 3000 fps @ 818 yds = 4.25" group.
Oh, and the date on the pic is way off. It was mid July with the temps running 90+. [Linked Image]

Also, just ask any custom barrel maker if one a heavy barrel will shoot better. "The inherent accuracy will be the same" is likely what you'll hear.

Alan
Yeah, my 7-08 Mountain Rifle LSS is a very accurate rifle, pencil barrel and all.
At 10.5lbs fully loaded, mine is probably not light weight but it is lighter than many rifles with an M24 barrel that is 26" long and packs well for the hunting I do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GSSP

Dober

Rogue is spot on. A "target rich environment" can heat up a barrel real quick. Some of my COF during a sniper match will have me putting out 10 rounds in 60 seconds with a mandatory mag change to liven things up.

But a super light weight barrel can still shoot. Here is my 30-06 Ackley with a 26" Lilja that has a muzzle dia of .552" running 180 BT @ 3000 fps @ 818 yds = 4.25" group.
Oh, and the date on the pic is way off. It was mid July with the temps running 90+. [Linked Image]

Also, just ask any custom barrel maker if one a heavy barrel will shoot better. "The inherent accuracy will be the same" is likely what you'll hear.

Alan

Nice shooting, But I will say that most barrel makers that I have spoke with, have always said that stiffer contours shoot better consistently, FWIW!

Nice shooting, But I will say that most barrel makers that I have spoke with, have always said that stiffer contours shoot better consistently, FWIW!

Consistently; how?

1. Day after day with only 1-2 shots fired at any one time?

2. Same day with numerous rounds through the barrel while working up a load or practicing. Warm to hot barrel here.

3. Or maybe in that "target rich environment" where touching your barrel will hurt?

I agree that for #3 and more than likely #2, a heavy or "heavier" barrel is in order but for #1, a light barrel will be accurate enough as long as proper load development occurs and it hits same POI day after day.

Alan
Originally Posted by GSSP

Consistently; how?

1. Day after day with only 1-2 shots fired at any one time?

2. Same day with numerous rounds through the barrel while working up a load or practicing. Warm to hot barrel here.

3. Or maybe in that "target rich environment" where touching your barrel will hurt?

I agree that for #3 and more than likely #2, a heavy or "heavier" barrel is in order but for #1, a light barrel will be accurate enough as long as proper load development occurs and it hits same POI day after day.

Alan

Alan, I don't disagree , and I think your correct stiffer tubes will be better in situation #3!
you have a dream rifle

Eye-

Thanks kindly; I'm glad you agree with my concept though, truth be told, many variations work as well.

George
Nice Rigs.

[Linked Image]

If this one ever hits the classifieds, I'm in trouble... Very nice rifle!

[Linked Image]

I like this one.....cool rifle;neat caliber.
Rem 700 in 6.5x55 Swede
Action blueprinted, Gaillard stainless fluted barrel(LV profile).
McMillan stock(Rem Hunter) glass bedded.
PT&G Obendorf bottom metal
Trigger set at 2.5#
Ken Farrel base
Mark 4 rings
Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M3
Weight is 8.5# scoped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's my 7-08 that I just finished putting together. It weighs in at 6Lbs 11oz. Working up some handloads this week.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

I'm saving for the day Bob gets tired of hauling that thing around the mountains and sells it to me for additional field testing.
Dave: In truth that rifle will work anywhere...close or far...and it won't wear a guy down in tough country.Well thought out and I can tell Bob built that based on "experience". wink
Don't crush my dream, bro...
My 7mm wsm:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]

Me two, that is a wonderful rig!

Dober
Dober: A flea-weight with "reach".... smile

SU35, that one of the most sublime stock colors I've seen. Very nice.
Two of my 7mm's, both weigh 7lbs 10 ozs.

Top:
Weatherby Lightweight Sporter
McMillan Sako Hunter Gap
Krieger #1 280 A.I.
Leupy LPS 2.5-10 in Talley Lightweights

Bottom:
Rem Custom Shop Mdl 7
McMillan from the Rem Custom Shop
Med Hvy Varmint Contour 7mm SAUM
Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

[Linked Image]

If this one ever hits the classifieds, I'm in trouble... Very nice rifle!

Thanks, it won't ever hit the classifieds smile

she just smoked this goat at 490 yards quartering away this past Sunday in NM. Absolute bang-flop. My buddy who does no long range hunting was amazed and now he wants to build a similar rifle
[Linked Image]

It's got some really good juju on it as well...
This whitetail fell to it at 250 yards bang-flop quartering towards last December
[Linked Image]

In fact, every critter I've ever pointed it at and pulled the trigger has collapsed into a pile on the spot.
Both with 140 AB's or do you run other boolits thru it?
Light to me is about 12lbs.
I must thank Eric (kenaiking) for selling me the parts from the classifieds section of the Fire for this one. She weighs in at just under 7.5lbs as pictured. It shoots the 140 AB well under .5MOA @100yds and spins them at over 3200fps.

280AI
Borden Timberline Action
Lilja #3 contour SS barrel, 25" length
McMillan Edge stock
Jewell trigger
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Boxer

Congratulations?
Ok then here's mine. First one is a FN PBR XP 300 WSM:

[Linked Image]
Weighs in at less than 10.5 pounds "all up". 20 moa picatinny rail with burris extreme tactical rings and nikon 4.5-14x40 scope. Shoots pretty good with hunting ammo. I'm sure it would do better with some scennars or Amax's grin

Second is my FN made in SC model 70 extreme weather which is showing promise with my standard 30-06 hunting load (165 hornady sp interlock over 56 gr. IMR 4350). Been too hot and windy lately to really develop a good load for it mad:
[Linked Image]

Weighs in at 7.5 pounds loaded and ready to rock and roll. Leupold 3.5-10x40 with cds, bedded and freefloated mcmillan compact edge stock, and talley lightweight lows. These are susposed to be the catz azz for an accurate factory hunting rifle but my pre 64 fwt in 30-06 was hanging right with it today in the accuracy dept so I think I owe it to that rifle to atleast post its picture too blush:

Pre 64 model 70 30-06 fwt (made in 1956). All original configuration except for light bedding in recoil lug area (not freefloated, left as factory down barrel channel), Redfield 1 piece mount and medium rings donated by my friend whitebird (thanks buddy), leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS, shoots less than 1 moa with hunting loads and handles like a dream. 8 pounds "all up" and a joy to carry.:

[Linked Image]

Yes that aluminum butt plate hurts after a while eek tired shocked

Congratulations?

Typical guise incorporates longer barrels of greater dimension. 12lbs is very handy,though of course with a tradeoff in precision.
6.5-06 improved Ackley 24" barrel 2990 140 berger 4x16 rapid z800 1/2 100 yds 1,000 yds 12" dinger 1 hit out of 3 average depends on wind
280 AI on a pre 64 M70 action
23" fwt pac-nor
mcm edge compact
swaro 3-10x42
150 TTSX
about 7 3/4 lbs
[Linked Image]
or the "original" LR
300 H&H on a pre 64 M70 action
#2 lilja @ 24.5"
echols legend stock with edge fill
swaro 3-10x42
180TTSX
about 7 3/4 lbs
[Linked Image]
Hand-that second one could get even me to use a 300 H&H..grin

Dober

(looking forward to lunch next time you're out, I called the kid and made sure he had my #)
That is too light for serious work as evident by the pattern.
Originally Posted by handwerk
280 AI on a pre 64 M70 action
23" fwt pac-nor
mcm edge compact
swaro 3-10x42
150 TTSX
about 7 3/4 lbs
[Linked Image]
or the "original" LR
300 H&H on a pre 64 M70 action
#2 lilja @ 24.5"
echols legend stock with edge fill
swaro 3-10x42
180TTSX
about 7 3/4 lbs
[Linked Image]

Both are damn nice rifles there. What type of finish does the 280AI have and what kind of accuracy do you get with it? Thanks.....
BSA,It's got a flat black cerekote on it. With the TTSX's and RL 22 I can often get groups 5/8" - 7/8".
Boxer, if you're being serious, the group shown was my first group sighting in,that 3 shots @100, and the hole to the upper right is a screw hole that held the target up. The gun will do 3/4" groups even with me pulling the trigger.
Originally Posted by handwerk
BSA,It's got a flat black cerekote on it. With the TTSX's and RL 22 I can often get groups 5/8" - 7/8".
Boxer, if you're being serious, the group shown was my first group sighting in,that 3 shots @100, and the hole to the upper right is a screw hole that held the target up. The gun will do 3/4" groups even with me pulling the trigger.

Thanks handwerk.
Improved Cylinder isn't something to swoon.
(grin)
And nary a hint of a 162 AMax...
You'll not do any better than a 175PT.

Don't know how "lightweight" it is, but here is my Ruger MKII .338 Win Mag. (Along with a Ruger #1 in .280 Rem.) The .338 WM has a 22" barrel. Very happy with the way the .338 turned out and how it shoots.

[Linked Image]

Here is my other long range rig, an Interarms Mark X action, Krieger barrel, Timney trigger, Boyd stock,6.5-06AI:
[Linked Image]
Critters is safe on all counts. Bless your heart.
Top one up to around Up to about 600/700 yds,7-300 Wby,anyrhing above that the heavy weght 30-378.

[Linked Image]
Don't know if this applies as "long range" but I made a 600 yard one shot kill on my buck yesterday with my FN PBR XP 300wsm..... Had it zeroed at 240 yards, dialed up 32 clicks to make the shot, waited for the wind to die down a bit, held right on and it was bang flop.....

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics sick

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I have a light weight one in the works right now. I look foward to sharing it with everyone soon.

Thanks,
Oneshot
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Here is my other long range rig, an Interarms Mark X action, Krieger barrel, Timney trigger, Boyd stock,6.5-06AI:
[Linked Image]

What contour barrel?
Jesus God...is there enough Bleach in this World to right them wrongs?!!?

I still remember when folks actually shot.

Anywhoo,with not more than a few hundred to choose from,I'll nominate THE Rocktucky as the pinnacle.

Bless your hearts.

[Linked Image]
I just threw up a little.........
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I just threw up a little.........
.......Like this?........... sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick
You two dumbphucks are so beyond clueless,it's simply [bleep] amazing.

JeffO is gonna hurl with envy and 'squeeze is green with same. Try leaving the couch ladies and doing for yourselves,instead of practicing your Imaginations.

If three primers a year get punched between you two in a year,I'd be plum amazed.

Too [bleep] funny!
Funny... popping primers right now, prone, at long range. Dork.

And that is a god-awful ugly paint job. Sorry.
You two dumbphucks are so beyond clueless,it's simply [bleep] amazing.

JeffO is gonna hurl with envy and 'squeeze is green with same. Try leaving the couch ladies and doing for yourselves,instead of practicing your Imaginations.

If three primers a year get punched between you two in a year,I'd be plum amazed.

Too [bleep] funny!
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh...........Well it so happens that I received an interesting PM from a source here on the Fire who shall remain anonymous, which was sent to me during the tail end of the "Accumark" thread. I did PM the source back and asked for more detail, and to make sure this was in fact true.

I don`t know if this is my "imagination" or what, but I certainly couldn`t make this up even if I tried to.

Well Big/Stickboxer?....I did read via that PM sent to me, that you maybe have a "big" AL-KEEEEEE-HOL problem?.. wink .....Hmmm?

Be careful there. We wouldn`t want you to lose your jobby, and then as a result, spend alot more time here on the "Fire" gracing us with your expertise, of which btw we all could certainly use alot more of???

Xmas is coming up. I`ve got a sealed bottle of Crown Royale still in the original box that I`ve never opened which was a gift to me about 5 to 6 years ago. I`ll be happy to send it your way by "overnight express." Looks like you could certainly use it far more than me?????? You like Crown Royale?

Try and take things in more moderation though. I wouldn`t want you driving around on Prince Wales Island up there and as a result wind up accidentally injuring or killing anybody.

That might possibly explain a great many of your wonderful postings and might explain your wonderful "pop-cicle and bozo the clown/circus type" paint jobs on your rifles?? grin

Keep it up the good work. It is a great inspiration for all.
.... or put another way:

[Linked Image]
crazy
.... or put another way:

[Linked Image]
..................An excellent pic and sign language to the Big/Stickboxer, which commemorates your 21,000th post..... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Jeff
You try any Nosler 150 grain B/T in that new tube yet Or 162 grain A-max ?

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

Anywhoo,with not more than a few hundred to choose from,I'll nominate THE Rocktucky as the pinnacle.

Bless your hearts.

[Linked Image]

You guys give Larry a break, he has matching Boxer's and it's his new camo for hunting in the snow smile

[Linked Image]

Bless your hearts.

[Linked Image]

You guys give Larry a break, he has matching Boxer's and it's his new camo for hunting in the snow.

[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh LMAO!!!

Oh yeah. It sure helps to have a rifle match the underwear color scheme. Poke-eeeee-dots.

That`s probably how "Boxer" came to be?
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Well Big/Stickboxer?....I did read via that PM sent to me, that you maybe have a "big" AL-KEEEEEE-HOL problem?.. wink .....Hmmm?

That's real classy right there.

What part of "Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet" don't you understand?

Maybe I'll send some PM's saying that you are a child molester.

Of course, we won't be told the identity of your 'anonymous source'

Grow the [bleep] up.
Don't know what this weighs but it ain't heavy. Those antelope were shot at 415 and 460yds by the wife and I last week.

700la
ti take-off stock
pacnor 1-10"tw rem mtn rfl contour. 25-06ai @ 23"
Tlw's and1" 3.5-10x40

It shoots.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MikeNZ

What part of "Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet" don't you understand?

Grow the [bleep] up.
..................And you can literally KMA and you can send any damn PMs about me you wish!

That source you moron, is a "Fire" member who PM`d me directly and gave me that information. I didn`t just pull things out of thin air.

It is no big secret that Big Stick/Boxer or whomever he is and I don`t like each other and never will. He spews his crap at me AND OTHERS every chance he gets and does so without any provocation from me.

You have obviously missed all of that history.

So you can take your "grow the [bleep] up" analysis and shove it.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Jeff
You try any Nosler 150 grain B/T in that new tube yet Or 162 grain A-max ?

[Linked Image]

[/quote]

Randy, I was fitting new brass to my chamber <g> using mild 140 NBT loads today. Also shot some 162 Amax's, which do kick ass, and 160 Accubonds, which I'll be using for elk this year. Both those bullets hold MOA or better to 450 yds. I haven't shot for groups beyond that. I'm liking it a lot though! Pac-Nor does it again! smile

Originally Posted by MikeNZ

Grow the [bleep] up.
Agreed!!!
JeffO,

Sugartits...you'll always do better by starting off by [bleep] yourself,because you'll get more puzzy that way.

Loved your Treatise on LR and sounding off on your kickometer,hilarious schit as per your usual.

Bless your heart.

'Squeeze,

You poor ignorant stooge. Love the Phantom PM's and hopefully the next one you "get" will clarify how I'm a Mexican of devout Catholic Faith and saving in earnest so as to be able to return to my roots in California,with a 9-lugged Weatherby in tow,because it's my favorite action.

The depths of your stupidity is boundless and it never ain't humorous when you fire up your Imagination,but in actuality your Realities are far more comedic.

Here's hoping you have a wonderful day wrapped in a diaper Karate chopping your "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" posters on the wall and watching your favorite movie "The Karate Kid" over and over again,while your Mom tells you it's "all OK".

Too [bleep] funny!

That kind of problem if it is a problem and a mans kids shouldnt be talked about by others. Cheap cheap shot!!!
What I'd REALLY like to know is:

How much time does one take to create/write their riddles? And, what is the logic...if any, behind writing in 'code?'

Curious if Riddler is related to this man?

[Linked Image]

JeffO,

Sugartits...you'll always do better by starting off by [bleep] yourself,because you'll get more puzzy that way.

Loved your Treatise on LR and sounding off on your kickometer,hilarious schit as per your usual.

Bless your heart.

'Squeeze,

You poor ignorant stooge. Love the Phantom PM's and hopefully the next one you "get" will clarify how I'm a Mexican of devout Catholic Faith and saving in earnest so as to be able to return to my roots in California,with a 9-lugged Weatherby in tow,because it's my favorite action.

The depths of your stupidity is boundless and it never ain't humorous when you fire up your Imagination,but in actuality your Realities are far more comedic.

Here's hoping you have a wonderful day wrapped in a diaper Karate chopping your "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle" posters on the wall and watching your favorite movie "The Karate Kid" over and over again,while your Mom tells you it's "all OK".

Too [bleep] funny!

.......You`ll drink to that uh? Have one on me.......Larry? Your riddles keep a coming.

The source also told me that you are about 5'4" tall???

If so, just make sure you pull your seat forward and put a pillow under your ass when you drive. You need to see where you are going at all times. Keep your windows open to keep that fresh air coming in too. The community up there will appreciate your extra effort in the name of safety.

Can`t wait to see your next rifle scheme inspiration in living color. "Tinkerbell" inspired, "Bozo the Clown" inspired, inspired by the old NBC peacock, and certainly inspired by a good humor man`s ice cream truck, which contain the color schemes of many popcicles. They have ice cream trucks up there? Summer only?

Looks like it`s gonna be a nice day tomorrow. So I`m gonna go out and burn at least "3" primers" on the 375 and throw in the 300 WSM too. Your "favorite" the Wby Mk5 had a good workout last month and will stay home. Hog hunting in a couple of weeks.

They do sell ice cream at the range. So in your honor I`ll make sure to request a popcicle.

And btw. If the source PM`s me and says it`s OK to reveal his identity, you`ll be the first to know.

Be careful up there. Moderation is key. Don`t want you sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick,,,all over the place.

Why bless your heart too. laugh laugh laugh laugh
5'4"????
Oh my... crazy laugh whistle

No wonder he doesn't like lil baby jesus..
JeffO,

Bless your heart.

'Squeeze,

Too [bleep] funny!

.......You`ll drink to that uh? Have one on me.......Larry? Your riddles keep a coming.

The source also told me that you are about 5'4" tall???

If so, just make sure you pull your seat forward and put a pillow under your ass when you drive. You need to see where you are going at all times. Keep your windows open to keep that fresh air coming in too. The community up there will appreciate your extra effort in the name of safety.

Can`t wait to see your next rifle scheme inspiration in living color. "Tinkerbell" inspired, "Bozo the Clown" inspired, inspired by the old NBC peacock, and certainly inspired by a good humor man`s ice cream truck, which contain the color schemes of many popcicles. They have ice cream trucks up there? Summer only?

Looks like it`s gonna be a nice day tomorrow. So I`m gonna go out and burn at least "3" primers" on the 375 and throw in the 300 WSM too. Your "favorite" the Wby Mk5 had a good workout last month and will stay home. Hog hunting in a couple of weeks.

They do sell ice cream at the range. So in your honor I`ll make sure to request a popcicle.

And btw. If the source PM`s me and says it`s OK to reveal his identity, you`ll be the first to know.

Be careful up there. Moderation is key. Don`t want you sick sick sick sick sick sick sick sick,,,all over the place.

Why bless your heart too. laugh laugh laugh laugh

You are soo funny!!!
What does someone's height have to do with anything? I didn't know we were still in 7th grade gym class, picking teams for basketball.
Pic is Edgar Allen Poe...

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
What does someone's height have to do with anything? I didn't know we were still in 7th grade gym class, picking teams for basketball.

Its called "Napoleon Syndrome"

at 6' 5" im no shorty, but i have noticed that a lot of shorter people dont like me for whatever reason. its ok, i will just continue stepping on them and moving forward... grin
WTF does a person's height have to do with a lightweight long range rig???
Them that do the least,need Imagination the most and 'squeeze more than qualifies on all levels. Bless her heart.

She's the KungFu Master with "albums" full of "1000's" of picture of her "conquests",yet she's stumped with the very things she claims to "own". Typical Mall Ninja Bullschitt.

I enjoy the notion of "riddles",if only because 2 + 2 is a "riddle" to those who haven't the faculties to know the answer. The Do-Nothing Gang is always eager to illuminate their shortcomings and few can outdo the nothingness of 'squeeze. Her "best" is a feeble foible of her Imagination and then it gets ugly from there. She has a "version" of everything,yet curiously enough none of them bear fruit,despite her frequent follies to reaffirm same.

Rough day here.

[Linked Image]

Pardon the trevails of my Realities,trumping your Imagination.

Laffin'!
Them that do the least,need Imagination the most and 'squeeze more than qualifies on all levels. Bless her heart.

She's the KungFu Master with "albums" full of "1000's" of picture of her "conquests",yet she's stumped with the very things she claims to "own". Typical Mall Ninja Bullschitt.

I enjoy the notion of "riddles",if only because 2 + 2 is a "riddle" to those who haven't the faculties to know the answer. The Do-Nothing Gang is always eager to illuminate their shortcomings and few can outdo the nothingness of 'squeeze. Her "best" is a feeble foible of her Imagination and then it gets ugly from there. She has a "version" of everything,yet curiously enough none of them bear fruit,despite her frequent follies to reaffirm same.

Rough day here.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!
................Well looky here!!! The happy riddler strikes again with more sophisticated pundantry and perversion of the english language.

What? No bottle of your favorite adult beverage in the pic?

You should try putting that Tinkerbell, Bozo, popcicle, [bleep]-bag and pixie dust colored inspiration on the end of a hook and throw that colored abortion into the water. Hopefully, the paint is water soluable. Might do that rifle some real justice and turn it back into what a rifle should look like, instead of looking like the color arrangement that`s in your underwear drawer, plus looking like something out of flower and ice cream shop.

Did you get that color scheme idea from your underwear drawer? From your local flower shop? From your local ice cream parlor? Or did it come to you by way of a cereal box of fruit loops? Or maybe an inspiration from "aaaah" friend? And a "pink" trigger too no less uh? Now that is a classic. A pinkeeeeee trigger. Do you paint your bullets pink plus other bozo inspired colors too?

Show up to a hunting camp with that colored abortion, all the guys will certainly be tightening their belts up, and of course watching their backsides....Wink-wink-wink..... wink wink wink

What color vehicle ya got? Is it a combo of white, yellow, pink, orange with a little green mixed in along with a pink steering wheel too?

Looks like your imaginative, color schemin, and that [bleep]-bag abortive brain of yours was working alot of special overtime.

What a wonderful piece of work. That rifle can be re-done, but you? You have no hope for any re-habilitation.

What a damn fruitloop.

Come on bigsqueeze enough name calling, post a couple pics of your famous exploits...please just a couple pics...
Perspective is everything,thus it simply being "Friday" to me. You are welcome to all of your Estrogen filled shortcomings,be it the day,month or the year...you fail equally upon all yardsticks. Congratulations?

I'm flattered that you fancy my under garments as figments of your deep/dark Imagination,though I'm feigning "surprise" at your fascination for same. There's no doubt that my daily duties fully consume your thoughts and it'd be difficult to slight your fascination(s). It is hardly a "secret" that you cannot do for yourself.

You're bursting out of the closet is hardly a "surprise".

Bless your Day Dreaming Heart and your vivid Imagination.

Rough day here.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Reality is, you're trolling, it's tiresome, and that rifle is [bleep] hideous.

Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Come on bigsqueeze enough name calling, post a couple pics of your famous exploits...please just a couple pics...
........How about if I send ya a few 35mm negatives and then you can develop `em yourself?

I`ve been using the same 35mm Canon on my trips for 20-25 years now which was my late dad`s camera. And before that another which was his. I like it.

I like lots of big and bulky photo albums that I keep on bookshelves stuffed with thousands of hunting pics.

In some respects, I prefer `ol school methods. Don`t plan on changing now.

As to my three rifles, if you don`t know what a Wby Accumark looks like, go to the Wby site. If you don`t know what a Ruger Alaskan looks like, go the Ruger site. And if you don`t know what a Ruger Frontier looks like, then go to a site like Gunbroker.

All look the same as they came from the factory.

And I`m sure you can visualize what 10 dead bull elk look like, 2 black bear, 11 deer, 1 grizzly and several hundred hogs look like, and what a grizzly bear rug hanging on a den wall looks like.
Ever hear of a scanner? Just sayin dont beat me up.
And I`m sure you can visualize what 10 dead bull elk look like, 2 black bear, 11 deer, 1 grizzly and several hundred hogs look like, and what a grizzly bear rug hanging on a den wall looks like.
Surely you have a friend that has a digital camera? One would think that in the last 10 years you'd have at least one digital image, maybe you've just been daydreaming.

Just for argument sake; I wouldn't consider 2 black bear, 11 deer, 1 grizzly and innumerable hogs as making one good season for me, but glad to see your braggadocio is minimal...

It looks more and more like visualizing is your only skill. Keep'em coming, please keep 'em coming.
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Surely you have a friend that has a digital camera? One would think that in the last 10 years you'd have at least one digital image, maybe you've just been daydreaming.

Just for argument sake; I wouldn't consider 2 black bear, 11 deer, 1 grizzly and innumerable hogs as making one good season for me, but glad to see your braggadocio is minimal...

It looks more and more like visualizing is your only skill. Keep'em coming, please keep 'em coming.
............You are quite the ass. 400+ head in one season uh? Good! I`m happy for ya! Go get 500 next year

My total hog count is at 383. That`s 407 minus the others.
You call 383 innumerable uh?

Well in between the actual count of 407 head of game killed over the past 42 years or so, I`ve run businesses including three martial arts studios with a partner which we sold 18 years ago, have other business interests now, and am under contract to teach the employees of three private security companies who employ bodyguards. I also teach martial arts privately and have about seventy clients.

Unlike you in Alaska?,,,I cannot just walk out my front door, go to the nearest clearing somewhere and kill something before I go to work or after I get off work. And I can`t get away on every weekend either.

So you can take your thinking that I only possess visions of hunting grandeur, and shove that analysis straight up your living ass.

Punk!

I don`t have the fortunate circumstances like you up in Alaska to just walk out my door and go kill something.

So is that a brag or a complaint? You don't sound like much of a big game hunter and even less of a rifleman. You take less than ONE big game animal a year. And for a guy that is old school you own 3 new stock rifles. Pigs are vermin count em if you have to.....

Thinking if I'd have killed 383 trash hogs in fourty two years, I'd have no real idea of the number of hogs killed, just a guess? Must have some seriously detailed records to have an exact count?

How does a Rex Kwon Do instructor not have a video or digital camera? And with expert photography skills your still using the latest in 1960's technology. Though you pay hundereds of thousands in taxes yearly? Do you have many leather bound books and does your office smell of rich mahogany?

San Diego, it's German for a whales virgina.

So is that a brag or a complaint? You don't sound like much of a big game hunter and even less of a rifleman. You take less than ONE big game animal a year. And for a guy that is old school you own 3 new stock rifles. Pigs are vermin count em if you have to.....

Thinking if I'd have killed 383 trash hogs in fourty two years, I'd have no real idea of the number of hogs killed, just a guess? Must have some seriously detailed records to have an exact count?

How does a Rex Kwon Do instructor not have a video or digital camera? And with expert photography skills your still using the latest in 1960's technology. Though you pay hundereds of thousands in taxes yearly? Do you have many leather bound books and does your office smell of rich mahogany?

San Diego, it's German for a whales virgina.

..............Neither a brag nor a complaint. Never said I was a "huge" big game hunter there sir and never implied that I was.

I have no need to own more than the three rifles I have. I don`t have safe queens.

Yes, I do keep a detailed account in the same hard bound bound binder that I`ve been using for some 42+ years. Such a thing isn`t possible in your opinion? If you have no idea how many hogs or any game you`ve killed over the years, then that only means you have chosen not to keep track. Well I have kept track of the actual number and the dates.

Just because I have chosen to take 35mm stills, means that it is my choice. Understand that? Technology or not.

Another "Rogue" smart ass!!

The den in my home where my office is, has oak flooring and shelves along with a similar desk. Sorry no rich mahagony.

And for your next error oh wise one, I don`t live in San Diego.

Trash hogs? Yeah whatever you want to call them.

Perhaps you`d be better off asking a few questions first before you type your knee jerk, assumptive and immature crap.

Oh and a Mr Rogue!.....If you happen to think that I`m not much of a rifleman, then you`re certainly welcome to come down here and find out first hand. You`d be sadly mistaken. And if there is anything else Mr. Rogue that you`d like to test and see for yourself first hand, then feel free.

Photo albums of hunts, belt certificates, tourney pics, shooting pics.

It`s all here. No rich mahagony walls for ya though. Too dark.

Of course you wouldn`t waste your time and money in coming down here to prove you wrong? Naaaaa, of course not!

Here we go.. More of the astrophysicist's internet "I'll beat you up" invites..
Never met a tough guy that actually was....
And for your next error oh wise one, I don`t live in San Diego.

"San Diego, it's German for a whales virgina."

Guess you don't get out much.....
I don`t have the fortunate circumstances like you up in Alaska to just walk out my door and go kill something.
Arranging living in AK is not an accident or the result of fortunate circumstances. You depend too much on "luck." Plans can be made and preparations had to enjoy the great outdoors (AK or otherwise) in person, but some still prefer to read magazines/watch the tube about successes than experience them first hand.

Your successes are highly publicized in your own mind and yet not a single pixel in evidence, which is my only criticism. Please keep the slurs and insults flowing; just maybe you can visualize others doing as little as you...

Rough day here.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Reality is, you're trolling, it's tiresome, and that rifle is [bleep] hideous.

Reality is,trolling ain't my style...not near enough action,as I'm a fan of high production volume and gear in accordance. It's how I roll. Fact of the matter is,that rifle happens to be well beyond splendid and quite possibly "perfection"...though I've only another dozen rifles so chambered to extrapolate,but you've your Imagination and middle finger to fascinate yourself with. Laffin'!

I see 'squeeze took another double dose of Imagination Pills again. Won't be long before she's tallying bugs on her windshield and her grill,trying to get to where she's never been or close.

Bless her heart.

Only you idiots can keep yourselves from saying something stupid,I cannot do it for you,nor would I be inclined were it an option. Too much hilarity would be missed and the World would have a vast shortage of charts.
Cool rifle, horrifying "paint job", and you are a troll.
Oh and a Mr Rogue!.....If you happen to think that I`m not much of a rifleman, then you`re certainly welcome to come down here and find out first hand. You`d be sadly mistaken. And if there is anything else Mr. Rogue that you`d like to test and see for yourself first hand, then feel free.

Photo albums of hunts, belt certificates, tourney pics, shooting pics.

It`s all here. No rich mahagony walls for ya though. Too dark.

Of course you wouldn`t waste your time and money in coming down here to prove you wrong? Naaaaa, of course not!

Life is a beautiful thing...
Especially when players within same are blessed with so much stupidity and Imagination. In fairness,it'd be difficult to cite two who "know" or have "done" less than poor dumb JeffO and 'squeeze. They are certainly the "Dynamic" Duo.

Bless their hearts.
Dunno about Squeeze. Do know about myself. Don't much care what your ugly-rifle trolling ass thinks.

As always, when you are next in Oregon let's shoot-n-see. wink
Stupid statement, writen too late at night.
Just for giggles.
How tall are you?

just for giggles... smirk laugh
I'm a nice guy, no ninjer belts or certificates. Ain't shot a 1000 animals. Don't surf the North Shore, don't have many leather bound books. Just some dude. There's always someone tougher than anyone. Ain't nothing special.

It's just been a few hours since anyone claimed to be Billy Bad A. Sorry, just too bored.
no Mike, you are not just some dude... I've met you. you are far from it Sir. a man many here can only hope to be like. i count myself lucky to know you.
The pull out is happening. Still working hard but things to get really old. Can't wait to get home and you Marty are really, really tall.
Can't wait to get home and you Marty are really, really tall.

i know, but it sucks trying to find pants that fit properly... grin still fun when a store puts up signs that say "ask for help with items on the top shelf"

i go find the shortest person i can, and ask them to grab it. the shelves are usually about head height... grin
That's funny.

Nrut,

I've had my arse saved more than once by Princess Patricia's Light Infantry. I know they're tough.
Could that be the 223 Arckey?

Rough day here.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5696137/1
This Winchester model 70 is in 300 wsm sitting in a Bell&Carlson medalist stock with their "freedom tan" color. I bedded recoil lug, floated barrel, and did a trigger job on the rifle. I have a Nikon Monarch 4X16X42 mounted with warne bases and rings. I replaced the standard elevation knob with a target knob and then had a Kenton Industries turret made for my load.

I am shooting Barnes 168 TSX bullets and I would probably call it more of a mid-range set up out to 600 yards because of my load selection.

I have taken whitetail, mule deer, bear, and elk with this rig.

Weight is 9 lbs 10 oz.

[Linked Image]
Since we are actually showing lightweight rigs again here is mine. Im sure it will make some break out in a rash but it works for me for a lightweight. Tikka T3 in grey cerakote, BC stock, SWFA SS 3x9 scope in DNZ mounts, blacktail load is 140 berger at 2950fps. Holds 1 moa to 800 yards and thats farther than I would be motivated to shoot in the field.

[Linked Image]

Rough day here.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

Boxer,

Can you give the specs on that AR? Thanks.

Travis
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Since we are actually showing lightweight rigs again here is mine. Im sure it will make some break out in a rash but it works for me for a lightweight. Tikka T3 in grey cerakote, BC stock, SWFA SS 3x9 scope in DNZ mounts, blacktail load is 140 berger at 2950fps. Holds 1 moa to 800 yards and thats farther than I would be motivated to shoot in the field.

[Linked Image]

Hey VI, what caliber is that? 280? a hot 7mm-08? 270?
.270, if I can ever toast the bore it will be a .280. smile
I've heard the T3 bores are very toastable lol. Your day may come.
Originally Posted by deflave

Boxer,

Can you give the specs on that AR? Thanks.

Travis

Guess not.
Doosh,

My bad,as it wasn't my intention to preclude you from yet another vicarious fix and hopefully you'll trade my info for an eloquent recounting of your killing a Turkey every three years or so! You are always on the prowl and chock full of great "info" bound by your "experience". Laffin'!

Looks like a S&W M&P to me,but I'd defer to your "keen" eye.

Initial guise.

[Linked Image]

Issues with same? I abhor all things BUIS,the sight tower is superfulous for that reason and loudeners ain't my style. Nor was I ever hip on delta rings and handguards wrenching on the barrel. I savvy that it's all well over your head,but I'll toss pictures for your crossed eyes,drooling yap and do-nothing penchant...if only to fuel your Imagination.

Lop/chop the loudener shy of crown and drive the remains as a thread protector. A shoulder to accept tape and a radius on leading edge so same wears better,being givens,yet still over your head.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hate abbreviated 1913 rails on the gas block,nearly as much as sight towers. Lop/chop,radius and rock & roll. All steps in a vastly superior direction. For conversation and contrary to left to right taper pin travel escape mainstays,S&W drifts towards port...if only as a heads up to them that shoot other things than their Imagination.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/DAD_9493.jpg[/img]

Making headway in portability,practicality and noisetitude.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/DAD_9517.jpg[/img]

Though unknown quantities to you,I have need to fend both atmospheric conditions and trailing ambient temps. That same can be curtailed while bolstering POI/POA intersections,is the best of news. 10yr old fingers are hip on increased charge handle leveraging...though that too is Greek to you.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/DAD_9573.jpg[/img]

Final form,save tape on muzzle. This might give you ideas on how to streamline your SuperSoaker and as per always,I'd suggest red food coloring to fuel your "tracers" and if only so you can say you "handload",give bottled water a whirl in the "magazine" too.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/DAD_9574.jpg[/img]

Only managed 1150rds through it in a week or so and will feign my surprise in there being no F/F issues and that she simply holds zero and digests a multitude of lovingly crafted fodder less concession. I'll hammmer a Booner with the parcel and be sure you get a chance to see the pics,if only to allow you opportunity to pretend you've an inkling,the aptitude or the skills requisite to follow suit. Laffin'!

I'd say something about O/F R/P hulls,400's,'2200,68HPBT's,75HPBT's and P-Mag COAL constraints...but you'd get dizzy trying to cypher and fall off your stool. Might could be a blessing though,in that the impact could possibly realign your blinkers and then noone would be forced to suffer that awkward feeling of being forced to watch your beffudlement in being unable to collimate your peepers. Be sure to chime in and cite where my gracious nature takes your many impairments. I'll spare you EXPS3-0 nuances,the sanctity of a 1MOA dot and NVG friendly wavelengths.

Perhaps you are now armed with enough factoids,to concoct yet another rendition of: "Dooshes Do-Nothing Tales". As per always,I'm looking forward to the comedy you desperately try to pawn as a "clue".

Bless your heart.

Originally Posted by Magnumdood

If you know how many guns you own...

...you don't own enough!

Sometimes knowing how many guns you own is a sign of close dealings with the BATFE.

I know I've posted these before, but I keep finding relevent threads.

The Blue one= 284win, McM classic, 700Sa....~7.5 without the optics, which have changed anyway.

The green one= 243AI, HS (I think), 700SA...a little heavier than the Blue one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've got a couple more on the drawing board: 308win (11-12 lbs), 223AI (chunk), 6.5WSM (8-9 lbs), 7WSM (7-8 lbs), 223AI (LW)
Originally Posted by Miss Herv� Villechaize
ThemThose that do the least,need least, need Imaginationimagination the most, and 'squeeze more than qualifies on all levels.
Describe the levels
. Bless herhis heart.

She'sHe's the KungFuKung Fu Master with "albums" full of "1000's" of picturepictures of herhis "conquests",yet"conquests", yet she'she's
stumped withby the very things shehe claims to "own". Typical Mall Ninja Bullschitt.

I enjoy the notion of "riddles",ifriddles, if only because 2 + 2 is a "riddle"riddle to those who haven't the faculties to knowascertain the answer.
The Do-Nothing Gang is always eager to illuminate their shortcomings and few can outdo the nothingness of 'squeeze.

His "best"best is a feeble foible of herhis Imaginationimagination and then it gets ugly from there. SheHe has a
"version"version of everything,yeteverything, yet
curiously enough, none of them bear fruit,despitefruit, despite his frequent follies to reaffirm samethe same.

Rough day here. I can understand; I'm sure I missed more than a few of your mistakes.
There were so MANY of them it would have been easier for me to have rewritten the entire passage for you.

Your writing sux Miss Villechaize.
Thanks Boxer! That's a cool rig for sure.

Well done on the cuttin'... grin

Travis
Originally Posted by SpencerSS
[Linked Image]

I like that one. Any problems getting a 700 to feed a .284?
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by Miss Herv� Villechaize
ThemThose that do the least,need least, need Imaginationimagination the most, and 'squeeze more than qualifies on all levels.
Describe the levels
. Bless herhis heart.

She'sHe's the KungFuKung Fu Master with "albums" full of "1000's" of picturepictures of herhis "conquests",yet"conquests", yet she'she's
stumped withby the very things shehe claims to "own". Typical Mall Ninja Bullschitt.

I enjoy the notion of "riddles",ifriddles, if only because 2 + 2 is a "riddle"riddle to those who haven't the faculties to knowascertain the answer.
The Do-Nothing Gang is always eager to illuminate their shortcomings and few can outdo the nothingness of 'squeeze.

His "best"best is a feeble foible of herhis Imaginationimagination and then it gets ugly from there. SheHe has a
"version"version of everything,yeteverything, yet
curiously enough, none of them bear fruit,despitefruit, despite his frequent follies to reaffirm samethe same.

Rough day here. I can understand; I'm sure I missed more than a few of your mistakes.
There were so MANY of them it would have been easier for me to have rewritten the entire passage for you.

Your writing sux Miss Villechaize.

Doosh,

It never ain't not a pleasure,when you feel compelled to flaunt your copious stupidity...if only because it's not an act. I savvy that you are in awe on many levels,hang feverishly upon my every word and that it reliably surfaces a number of your insecurities,which you wield like a Mall Ninja's sword as you live vicariously in wanton angst. Quite a spectacle to grant you the bandwidth to wax eloquent on all,under the auspice of feigning a clue. Hardly a secret,that noone writes purtier than I and that I paint a clear/concise picture in the most succinct of manners. I get it that you haven't the faculties to keep pace with the breadth of intel and are forced to use yourself as a barometer of evaluation,which is the most slippery of slopes. Take notes and apply same,quit falling for the ruse of "thinking" for yourself,it ain't purty.

Mebbe you and JeffO oughtta consider a chart,if only to put all into perspective,so you Do-Nothing Boobs can quantify your nothingness. Happy Imagination to you and let's hope a fire is lit in same and that you remain powerless to refrain commenting through contrived notions of your pretend World. Looking forward to your penning a right proper School Marm concoction,illuminating more of your "knowledge","experience" and "intellect". Feel free to insert as much Imagination as you deem requisite,so as to curtail the realities of your couch riding/BonBon eating "Adventures". Bless your heart.

Only fair to add reality,if only to fuel that Imagination of your's.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!
Originally Posted by KDK

I like that one. Any problems getting a 700 to feed a .284?

It's got a Wyatt's box (3.00" inside). My coal is something like 2.980", and no issues.
[Linked Image]

9 pounds 12 oz. This is my 25-06 and I just added the 4-16 Black Diamond. She loves the 110gr Accubombs!
new one...

[Linked Image]
Paul,

Nice ride. 7 RM right?
yup, 7 RM. going to load up some for it tomorrow.
This was a great thread! Let's do a little revival!

This one ain't for 1000+, but it gets it done for a little longer shots. 7.5 lbs, 280 Rem, 162 AMAX~2800 fps. Vari X IIc with an M1.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And hopefully this one will perform at range... 270 WSM.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Tanner
This was a great thread! Let's do a little revival!

This one ain't for 1000+, but it gets it done for a little longer shots. 7.5 lbs, 280 Rem, 162 AMAX~2800 fps. Vari X IIc with an M1.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And hopefully this one will perform at range... 270 WSM.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle Tanner. Your sisters rifle looks great with that new scope on it....
Got some Talleys on the way, and then maybe a T.I. takeoff in the future.
[Linked Image]
RicksTacRifle by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

6.5x47L

And this is what it will do from 1200 yards:

[Linked Image]
6.5x47L @ 1200 yards. by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
Holy smokes! Cool rig! How big is that white center?
I think I just peed a little bit, very very cool

Tacksmacker
Here is a little 7-08AI built off of a Borden action by Chad at Longrifles Inc.
Brux 22" fluted #3
Jewel triger @ 1 lb
Edge stock
7 lbs all dreesed up
Goat was @ at little over 600 in 30-40 mph winds. 120 TTSX
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Did you hold for 30 mph, or 40?

grin
Held for 30, resulted in missing poa a little which was in the direction of the wind, I was then guessing it was closer to 40. Still resulted in a killing shot, but then again could have just been human error and it was 30, meter said 30 when the shot was taken. I know that is not a real LR shot but far enough in those conditions.
Peters, that is a real nicely put together rig and great goat. I would say in real world hunting that is a hell of a shot at 600 in those conditions congrats. If you are in the 3300 fps range with that bullet the difference in 30 to 40 mph wind is about 30" so you did real well and holding 30 was the right call. That kind of wind at that distance and a 120 grain bullet a lot can happen. Well done.
Thanks, my brother actually made that shot, the 120's are not exactly what a guy should be using for reaching out there a long ways but for 500-600 yards we have tipped alot of critters over with them. I think that is starting to push the limits but results have been good out to those ranges. I seen at least four good mature bull elk shot with the same settup last year right in the 500 yard range and none of them could shake it.
Holy smokes! Cool rig! How big is that white center?

20" diameter.
Outstanding! Great shooting.
Nice scope on the 270 WSM, it seems to look familiar? T.S.
I think you've seen that scope before somewhere... grin
What is the tape on the adjustment caps for?
T.S.
Just a bit more grip when wearing gloves. I've since found that Gorilla Tape is even mo' betta.
[Linked Image]
Hey Tanner, can you post up my 270 Wizzum for me?
That rifle is shooting sub-moa with fire forming loads.
If I recall you're just a few miles from me. We should get out and bust some rocks.
Yeah Brad, will do! I'll post it up here when I get home. I'm done with school today at 11:00, if you're around! Always up to make some gravel.
Here is Brad's Kirby Allen built 270Wizzum... talk about cool.

[Linked Image]
Always liked this thread... here's another decently packable long ranger, goes about 8 3/4lbs all up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Factory 7RM/KS Stock shooting 162 A-Maxes at 3050. Should work.
Way to get this thread back on track Tanner. Looks like that rig will get it done. Good Shooting.

Here's my current go-to. Deviations from photo are Stiller 20 MOA rail w/ Burris XTR rings and the 4.5-14 has been replaced with a 3-9 Conquest with a #4 reticle and turrets. Wouldn't be considered light by all, but is definitely lighter than some on this thread. Shoots too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

5 shots at 500 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John
Originally Posted by hamr56
I must thank Eric (kenaiking) for selling me the parts from the classifieds section of the Fire for this one. She weighs in at just under 7.5lbs as pictured. It shoots the 140 AB well under .5MOA @100yds and spins them at over 3200fps.

280AI
Borden Timberline Action
Lilja #3 contour SS barrel, 25" length
McMillan Edge stock
Jewell trigger
[Linked Image]

That is NICE !!!
Krylon happened to the 7...

[Linked Image]

And this sucker is NOT light, but it's like 13lbs so I suppose it fits the job description. 308 Win running mainly 178gr BTHPs.

[Linked Image]
Olive...you're such a pussy dude. I was expecting orange or lime green with silver webbing.....
Nothing wrong with olive, ya dink. :P

7lbs on the nose-

[Linked Image]

7WSM/162AM/3070fps

Went out a few days ago and printed one group at 100 yards before moving to the steel plates at 522 yards.

[Linked Image]

This one is 12lbs with the bipod and everything else-

[Linked Image]

.243AI/105AM/3280fps

[Linked Image]

.223/75AM/3080fps/12lbs 2oz as seen-
[Linked Image]

525 yards-

[Linked Image]
Jordan, that 223 is absolutely awesome looking. What color Cerakote did you do on it?
Funny..... Krylon happened to Sleven Sendero today too....

[Linked Image]

Zing!
Dog and Tanner,

Nice looking paint jobs, guys! Well done!

Tanner,

That is Glacier Grey ArmaCoat (a local Canadian product).
I really like the stuff! What scope are you running there on your 223?
Hawke Frontier 4-16x42SF
Jordan, that rhino camo looks great! Where did you order your bolt knobs from? I need on on my 243AI
11.5 lb 300 RUM
Rock 26"
DE cheekpiece and brake
McMillan HTG
NF scope , rings , base
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Sask_Hunter
Jordan, that rhino camo looks great! Where did you order your bolt knobs from? I need on on my 243AI

Thanks! McMillan does good work wink

The bolt knobs are from Karl Kampfeld. They are the knurled Campfire knob. He'll ship them directly to us in Canada for a VERY reasonable price.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Girls, yellow's where its at :D, I like that Varmint muchly Jordo. I've been keeping an eye in the EE for one but they dont pop up often.
in progress............

[Linked Image]
Awesome rifle there, eh! I love that color scheme.

Not real light, but no need for heavy barrels with a Sako 75 in 300 WBY Mag with a 26 inch barrel topped with a Swarovski Z-6 3-18X50 with BRH reticle...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by eh76
in progress............

[Linked Image]

Rock the house bubba!

Dober
Thanks gentlemen...it started out life as a NIB 7mm-08..never shot it. Had a friend take it down to the action, true it , lap it install a Bartlein #3 6.5 barrel on it and chamber it in 6.5x47 Lapua. Had another friend flute the bolt and barrel then install the bolt knob. Bedded in a B&C Alaskan II stock. Every other one he put together shoots....hope this one does as well. Just have to break it in and work up a load.

Not as pretty as Shrapnel's but I ain't got aviators either blush
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
65BR,

Very nice shooter.
Originally Posted by archie_james_c

Girls, yellow's where its at :D, I like that Varmint muchly Jordo. I've been keeping an eye in the EE for one but they dont pop up often.

You'll find one if you're patient smile

The Varmint is going to see some Atlas/AI mags shortly, and then it'll be done until the barrel needs to turn into a 6.5 bore, chambered in .260 AI grin Unless of course I decide that the bolt and barrel need fluting before then. *grin*
I'm bummed knowing that my .308 barrel will last another 4k rounds in all likelihood... Sucker is so fun to shoot, but I REALLY want a 6mm Creedmoore!
Score High Lightweight Packer in 6.5 Creedmoor
24" Brux 8x special contoured blank by Score High
Score High Hunting Brake
Remington 700SA turned down, lightened
Fluted 700 bolt, hollowed bolt knob, lightened shroud
Lightweight alloy 700 trigger gaurd
High Tech stock aluminum pillar bedded, custom LOP with Decelarator

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Its first blood. An Ibex at 758

[Linked Image]

I'm bummed knowing that my .308 barrel will last another 4k rounds in all likelihood... Sucker is so fun to shoot, but I REALLY want a 6mm Creedmoore!

That doesn't mean you need to send the 308 down the road....Keep it or you'll be kicking yourself in the azz later...
Not the .308, just the tube laugh the setup as a whole is perfect and will likely see a multitide of barrels in its day.
I do wonder if things get to the point that 308,223, 9/45 ammo/guns are banned, but if it gets that bad, it's all moot.

Nice 6.5 above, looks like Tanner is working his way in that direction, 30, 7mm, 6.5 next wink

a fast 7 and a medium 6mm like a 6 Creed would be a good pair for what I do.
muglia,

What does that thing weigh?

Travis
[Linked Image]
Very nice, do tell.

Tanner, no doubt. Get older like me and you just enjoy shooting the milder rounds more, and you can shoot more rounds in a day w/o ill effect. In the field, experience teaches horsepower is nice, but far overestimated, while shot placement simply rules, I know you know this......but after I dropped a deer at 400 yds w/a 6BR, I realized alot of guys are just punishing their ears and shoulders far more than needed to hunt America's most popular game. I know out west, things are different, and you have bears to think about, so needs can change.

You prob heard, but Wayne Van Zwoll shot an elk at just over 600 yds w/a Creedmoor using a 129SST IIRC. Worked about as well as JOC's fav...270/130. Granted he precisely threaded the SST where it should go, and all went fine. I'd prob never shoot that far, but it's interesting to know...
Originally Posted by deflave
muglia,

What does that thing weigh?

Travis

7.5 #'s with the big honken Leupold. A 4.5-14 will make it 7

You'll find one if you're patient smile

The Varmint is going to see some Atlas/AI mags shortly, and then it'll be done until the barrel needs to turn into a 6.5 bore, chambered in .260 AI grin Unless of course I decide that the bolt and barrel need fluting before then. *grin*

No better way to fly than .260 AI. I wish there were more 260s floating around. Sadly the only way to get a "good one" is to go custom...which isnt a bad idea.

I caved in and ordered an Atlas last night, probably should order 2 or 3 more as that dood is GIVING them away...
Heres my 280AI, it was an origianl 280cal FW win and it has evovled to my shooting needs.
Specs
Krieger 1-9.5t 23.5"FW contour
Centershot muzzle brake 3port
McMillan FW fiberglass stock
Jewell triger set at 1 lbs 2oz
Talley qd rings and bases
March 2.5x25 hunting scope with tactical turrets under caps
Atlas bipod
CDI bottom metal and detachable mag system
I shoot the 168bergers hunting vlds pointed at 2880 fps and
its deadly acuurate out to 1000Yards.
Elmer [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Beautiful rig! I'm drooling!
Elmerdeer - I'm building a very similar rig. Got all the parts and pieces, just waiting for the smith to call and say he's ready.
Here's a 10lb'er.... bout where I want a LR hunting rifle.

Rem. Sendero Special in 7RM
24" pipe & original HS stock
Talley lows & Leup. 3-9 Mark AR

Doing a little drop chart work out to 700 yesterday...

[Linked Image]

162 Amax/72 Retumbo/3075

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

[Linked Image]

You missed grin
No.... I'm just a cheap bastard.... been using the same dot since '02.....
that's doin it up right, dogshooter. I like that rig a lot
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Elmerdeer - I'm building a very similar rig. Got all the parts and pieces, just waiting for the smith to call and say he's ready.

I love the way it handles while standing and it pretty good prone
for a lightweight rig, its awsome as my all round hunting gun during the day i go from stand hunting to stalking to driving around looking for a buck in Saskatchewan.
You will enjoy yours.
Elmer
Mine is a "budget" rifle. I consider it a "medium range" rig... beyond 400 yards but closer than 600 or so. I've shot it out to 800 yards with perfect satisfaction on targets, and hitting 8" steel at 500 yards almost seems too easy!

-- T3 Super Light
-- 300 Win mag
-- FX-3 fixed 6x, LRD, M1 elevation
-- 200gr NAB @ 2900 fps

So far I've gotten one elk (cow) and one buck with this rifle, but not at longrange. Shooting steel at ~500 yards using the LRD or M1 is almost boring. As much as I practice at ~longrange, I got my 2012 cow & buck at 100 yards, maybe less. Go figure.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/001qwpl.jpg/][Linked Image][/
I can dig that rig for sure....
Here's how mine ran today with the little brother driving it....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm thinking about adding a bigger gun to my arsenal that could be light enough to carry for extended distances but still could be used to teach me to use turrets for wind and elevation. It would need to be at least 270 caliber to be legal for elk in my state. I have a stupid distain for 270 calibers so that just leaves 284s and 30's because I can't handle a 10 pound 338 for very long.

I'm impressed that other people like the useful mid weight rifles like these.
Glad to see this thread has legs grin Here's my rig; got it bolted up this weekend and will have it on the range this upcoming weekend.

Winchester Model 70 300 WSM, SWFA 6x42 scope, McMillan Compact pattern stock:

[Linked Image]
Love that stock! I'm gonna have to copy it one of these days.
338 EDGE
Rem 700
30" Obermeyer Rem Varmint contour bbl (31" w/muzzle brake)
Cerakote (Foliage Green)
McMillan HTG/M40A1 stock (McMillan Olive with black speckles)
Jewell Trigger
Wyatts 3.910" magazine box
Nightforce 20 moa base
Nightforce lightweight rings with the bubble thingy
Bushnell Elite 6500 4-16X50mm mil dot

total weight 11.5 lbs
not a real lightweight yet not too heavy, balanced just right for me.... completed summer of 2012.... one 53" bull moose down - Sept. 2012

Attached picture 338 EDGE-a.jpg
Attached picture 338 EDGE-b.jpg
Originally Posted by elmerdeer
Heres my 280AI, it was an origianl 280cal FW win and it has evovled to my shooting needs.
Specs
Atlas bipod

You got anymore pictures of this rifle? Awesome build. I want something like that...
Originally Posted by elmerdeer
Specs
Atlas bipod

Elmer,

Beautiful rig! Can you give us the weight? I'm guessing about 8.5 as it sits?

Also, 23.5" barrel w/o the break?

Amazing!

Thanks,
Bob
243 AI and 105 A-Maxes doesn't work worth a poop...

[Linked Image]

Ya need to bring that thing to the SRM and see what it will do. If you do I'll shoot the WSSM and we'll compare notes!
Once the snow melts and my job ends that's high on my list to do... That looks like a ton of fun.

[Linked Image]

Little group shot... I need more rifles!
Tanner,

I will pay for you to send that damn pajama stock to McMillan for a real recoil pad and a real paint job. I'll even send you a stock to use while its being "upgraded".

Not that it's not beautiful or anything.....
Sir,

Don't hate it because it's beautiful. You can try out the color scheme if you would like. I won't be angry.

I am cutting the stock and putting on a recoil pad tonight... that part will be fixed.
Just an offer....

FYI -- my 9 year old daughter saw the stock and thinks its cool. I told her to stay away from you in a few years.

Be careful cutting on that stock tonight and good luck installing the pad. Go kill some stuff with it....
[Linked Image]

Ain't nothin' to it...
More better...

How long was LOP on that thing? You look like you have some height and long arms. Was it over 14"?
It was like 14.25"... WAY too long for me. I like my LOP right at 13 3/8", and that's what this one is now. Mucho better!

I'm 6', but I dunno'. That stock was just long as heck.
I know this thread is just about dead but here is my two favorite rigs.

Blueprinted Rem 700 Short
Chambered in 260 Ackley
Shilen #4 1-9" cut at 25"
B&C Custom Paint Alaskan II Stock
Timney Trigger
Leup M4 4.5-14x40
weighs in at about 9 lbs.
plugs 130 gr Accubonds @ 3000fps
[Linked Image]

Blueprinted Rem 700 Long
Chambered in 300 RUM
Kreiger #5 1-10" cut at 27"
HS Granite Stock with Mercury Reducer
Timney Trigger
Leup M4 6.5-20x50
weighs in right at 10 lbs 14 oz
plugs 200 gr Accubonds @ 3000 fps

[Linked Image]

This one is in the works, but I don't know what ya'll consider long range.
Blueprinted Kimber 84m
Chambered in 260 Ackley
Lilja 84M contour 1-8" cut at 25"
Factory tuned trigger
Rebedded factory stock
Conquest 3x9 RapidZ 600
7 lbs 4 oz
Hopefully we can run 140 gr BT @ 2850

[Linked Image]
Love the Shilen 260 AI. Curious as to why you went 9 twist? Just an after thought or?
[Linked Image]

That's just about as perfect as a dynamic duo can git brother wink
Love the Shilen 260 AI. Curious as to why you went 9 twist? Just an after thought or?

Well for several reasons
1. I've heard of people having seating issues with the 260 AI and the really long bullets not being able to seat them at magazine length, I wanted a functional hunting rifle not a single shot.

2. I had originally planned on shooting the 120 gr BallisticTip.

3. My smith had a 1-9 twist that a customer had ordered and changed his mind to a 1-8 twist, so he knocked off a 100 stones to get me to buy it smirk

I love the setup, shoots like a dream and I've taken several deer and antelope with it and a couple elk(1 @ 605yds) and it's all been DRT type of harvests.

[Linked Image]

That's just about as perfect as a dynamic duo can git brother wink
Indeed...

I think the 243 is my favorite.
I've got an 8 twist 260 and if doing it again, for those same reasons you state, I'd go 8.5 or 9 I think. Can't really seat stuff out far enough in the box to take advantage of heavy bullets in it. Love my 8 twist 6.5-06 though.
Yeah I'm a little worried about the Kimber and 140 gr pills. Might end up shooting the same load out of it. It's cut with the same reamer so hopefully I ain't got to do much tinkering.

Originally Posted by Woodtick

Well for several reasons
1. I've heard of people having seating issues with the 260 AI and the really long bullets not being able to seat them at magazine length, I wanted a functional hunting rifle not a single shot.

2. I had originally planned on shooting the 120 gr BallisticTip.

3. My smith had a 1-9 twist that a customer had ordered and changed his mind to a 1-8 twist, so he knocked off a 100 stones to get me to buy it smirk

I love the setup, shoots like a dream and I've taken several deer and antelope with it and a couple elk(1 @ 605yds) and it's all been DRT type of harvests.

Them's is more than enough reasons to go 9T good sir laugh

My Model 7 .260 irked me similarly, in that 123 SMKs were useless in it, unless I wanted to gun it like an HR Hand I rifle laugh
.22-250 Ackley Improved
Remington 700 faux Ti
1-8" Pacnor at 22"
Sniper Grey cerakote throughout
Trigger at 2 lbs
Shoots 80 grain Bergers at 3,250 very well.
Joy to carry and shoot and fits me like a glove.

Itty bitty groups way out there -

[Linked Image]

Very slick rifle!
Originally Posted by GregW
.22-250 Ackley Improved
Remington 700 faux Ti
1-8" Pacnor at 22"
Sniper Grey cerakote throughout
Trigger at 2 lbs
Shoots 80 grain Bergers at 3,250 very well.
Joy to carry and shoot and fits me like a glove.

Itty bitty groups way out there -

[Linked Image]

Damn, I'm loving that! Veddy nice...

What she weigh?
I am exactly at 7 pounds with rifle, Talley's, VXII 3-9x40, and 3 cartridges down -
That rig looks like it kicks some serious butt Greg....
Thanks guys - Lots of awesome rifle in this thread.

This specific rifle just gets it done. Long live the 22 CF nay-sayers - They haven't a clue -
7 Rem confirming drops and all that good stuff. Perfect night

[Linked Image]

162 'Maxes at 600

[Linked Image]

Same at 800...

[Linked Image]
Nice shootin'
Good shooting
Thanks guys...

Has anybody ever found that different lots of bullets shoot much differently? I loaded up 90ish rounds of that load tonight, but a different lot of bullets. COAL (measured from base to tip, not very scientific I know) was vastly different than the previous lot. I'm hoping I don't see a huge fluctuation in accuracy and/or drops?
Damn nice shooting Tanner. What scope do you have on that bad boy?? I'm in the process of lightening up my FN PBR XP right now. She's sitting in devcon and I'm waiting on a different set of rings. It will be an easier rifle to pack when it's done and just as accurate (I hope blush)....That aluminum bedding block in the hogue is a heavy SOB....This one is mucho lighter. A little on the cheap, but I don't care grin:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks BSA... that's a 4.5-14x40 "Tactical" (target knobs and blacked out gold stuff). one of the better tracking Leupies I've ever owned....
Tanner don't EVER sell that 7mm.....

LOL! You know who you're talking to, right? Tanner plays musical rifles faster than Dan plays musical women! wink
Tanner,

Faux Ti on your 7 Remmie?

LOL! You know who you're talking to, right? Tanner plays musical rifles faster than Dan plays musical women! wink
Music wimmens is more fun....grin

Everytime I say I will never sell something I end up doing it. But I like this one quite a bit....

Greg, this one isn't quite a Faux-T.i. It's got a kinda' chunky barrel and a Mickey KS stock. So a Faux-KS, I suppose.
Nothing wrong with tripping one to play with another.....just gaining more experience!
Cool -

Yeah, I'd keep that rig -
This is my lightweight long range rifle. Its a model 70 300 win mag. I havnt even shot it yet. I just love Winchesters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Damn nice shooting Tanner. What scope do you have on that bad boy?? I'm in the process of lightening up my FN PBR XP right now. She's sitting in devcon and I'm waiting on a different set of rings. It will be an easier rifle to pack when it's done and just as accurate (I hope blush)....That aluminum bedding block in the hogue is a heavy SOB....This one is mucho lighter. A little on the cheap, but I don't care grin:

[Linked Image]

Have one along the same lines, though mine is a 308win..... Am hip on it as a shootin stick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sweet.

Got one of those 3-9x42s on the way for my 243 AI.
Damn I just got my 300 wsm all lightened up and a guy called gunnut pm's me and says he'll take it..... eek....Good thing I have another one to play around with :grin.....Oh well, now I can give this one more tender loving time and finally get a good load developed for it... sick...:

[Linked Image]

I guess I could always use my pre 64 model 70 fwt 30-06 too, if I had to. It fits the "light" criteria (as far as I'm concerned). Not too shabby of a shooter either:
[Linked Image]

It's the one below my 375 H&H:
[Linked Image]
Beautiful rifles BSA. Love the pre 64's! You have a very nice collection.
Thanks buddy. What part of oregon are you in? I'm kind of an old rifle nut grin
Im in Central Oregon, about 50 miles south of Bend. All my rifles are model 70's except for one and thats a Kimber 8400. The Kimber is ok but its not a model 70.
700sa Faux Ti .284win. Pacnor 9 twist at 24". Wyatt box, VXIII 3.5-10x40. Shoots 162bthp over 51gr '17 at 2900 and tight. The group below is one of those stupid ones that'll never happen again as the first two are in the top hole.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got to stretch the 162 A-Maxes out a little more this morning....

[Linked Image]

Shot 850,950, and 1050.

Here's 3 @ 950.... Needed about .5 Minute less vert, it looks like....

[Linked Image]

And 3 @ 1050. The wind got me pretty bad, but 3" of vertical doesn't hurt my feelings.

[Linked Image]

Are you getting poi shift from the 'pod vs. over a pack? Dialing wind or holding off?
Great shooting Tanner! Beautiful country to shoot in! Looks like some spots in my neck of the woods
Good shooting Tanner, those A-maxs are working for you.

I could take up a whole page with "lW LR" rifles but my definition of light weight is actually pretty heavy. One of the latest.

[Linked Image]

280 AI with 162s, first and second trip to 800. Only 13 rounds down the tube so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks Rick & Eddy....

BW, I tested this rifle for POI shift when using a pack vs. when using a bipod this winter. I found pretty much ZERO poi shift, but I can definitely hold quite a bit tighter off the bipod.

Here's some targets illustrating a static POI....it made me pretty happy for when I have to lace the boots on tight and don't want the bipod on there.

[Linked Image]

This group was shot at 600 off of a pack with a rear bag.

[Linked Image]

And this one was shot off a bipod and rear bag, at 600 as well....

[Linked Image]

Seems like if you've got a rifle bedded and floated well, with a nice stiff stock, POI shift shouldn't be much of an issue when using a pack or bipod.
Back to where I started.....grin

700 SS ADL 7 Rem Mag, Ti takeoff, Talleys, 6x42 w/ M1 and LRD reticle. Gonna' try hashing out some 168 VLDs when time permits. Not too sure about weight, my guess is 8-8 1/4 as it sits.

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle Tanner..
Nice rifle Tanner, great caliber.. You a big boy, and young, wt. should never bother ya!!! Enjoy!!

700 SS ADL 7 Rem Mag, Ti takeoff, Talleys, 6x42 w/ M1 and LRD reticle. Gonna' try hashing out some 168 VLDs when time permits. Not too sure about weight, my guess is 8-8 1/4 as it sits.

[Linked Image]

LMAO....that's way to heavy for a sheep rig.

[Linked Image]

Just right.
Maybe too heavy for a Texan...

Originally Posted by joshf303

[Linked Image]

LMAO....that's way to heavy for a sheep rig.

Not if you can make muscle-ups look easy smile
When the shot comes in sheep hunting heavier rifles sure steady down much nicer than a pistol wt. rifle.. My sheep rifle weighted 10.5#..
Tanner,

That scope and pack look great buddy...

GFY.

Travis
Thanks. I got them from some dick head.

Tanner
Thanks. I got them from some dick head.

Tanner

You told me it was a gay dickhead. Used to be pink too whistle
I don't think Travis was ever pink.

Tanner
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
When the shot comes in sheep hunting heavier rifles sure steady down much nicer than a pistol wt. rifle.. My sheep rifle weighted 10.5#..

I hear ya....just jerking his chain a bit.
tanner, thats a nice setup. in fact, id like to have the exact same thing, except make mine a 22" .243. an 8 lb all-up 7 mag would beat me up pretty good
The recoil isn't bad in an 8lb 7 Rem. I could spot hits easily enough with my last one from 500 and out.

Tanner
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
tanner, thats a nice setup. in fact, id like to have the exact same thing, except make mine a 22" .243. an 8 lb all-up 7 mag would beat me up pretty good

Me too. I have a similar rig in 7SAUM. A ladder test or two wears me out. Even a 7mm Mag Sendero isn't pleasant to me for long strings. My Savage "sendero" I'm putting together will get a Fat Bastard on the end of the McGowen. I'm a recoil puss.
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Me too. I have a similar rig in 7SAUM. A ladder test or two wears me out. Even a 7mm Mag Sendero isn't pleasant to me for long strings. My Savage "sendero" I'm putting together will get a Fat Bastard on the end of the McGowen. I'm a recoil puss.

I like my 7mm rem. At 8.5 pounds (not a lightweight) all up it is a puzzy cat to shoot...
Same here.

I find somewhere around 17 ft/lbs. of recoil is my limit for what I consider "really good" shooting. Above that and I have to use a really heavy hold, which affects my shooting, and I don't shoot the gun as much, which affects my performance.

But if a guy can handle it, more power to him.

[Linked Image]

Thought you were doing a 280AI?
Tanner,
Nice rig!
I've got a 7 RM coming soon, going to try the 150 BT first...
Originally Posted by SLM

[Linked Image]

Thought you were doing a 280AI?

He was...I ended up with it. He is gonna be pissed when I post some group pics with it smile
[Linked Image]

Lightweight for me, I didn't put in real effort to make ultra-light but just lighter.
Ti Alaskan II stock, Rem 700 7 MM rem mag, graphite black cerakote, Kampfield fluted bolt with campfire knob. Talley rings and bases (not lt wt) Vortex Viper LR 4x16x50.
Nice! What does she weigh Southwind? Pipe specs please. At a glance,I'd say that is exactly what I want to have built this winter in 7 Remmy mag.
Originally Posted by southwind
[Linked Image]

Lightweight for me, I didn't put in real effort to make ultra-light but just lighter.
Ti Alaskan II stock, Rem 700 7 MM rem mag, graphite black cerakote, Kampfield fluted bolt with campfire knob. Talley rings and bases (not lt wt) Vortex Viper LR 4x16x50.

Very nice rifle. That stock looks an awful lot like the Bansner on my classic win model 70 30-06..
Tanner,
Nice rig!

I have a feeling yours might be a little more pimped out than this one...grin. I'll be looking for your results.

Interested to see how the 6x42 does on this rifle-I've never used one. I think it'll be plenty for 6-700....
Guess I better add my newest GAP Non Typical in 260. It worked great on my Dall sheep hunt this year. Love this rifle!
[Linked Image][/URL]
Awesome rifle huntr!!!
Originally Posted by Huntr
Guess I better add my newest GAP Non Typical in 260. It worked great on my Dall sheep hunt this year. Love this rifle!
[Linked Image][/URL]

Bolt's on the wrong side....

Wait, I'm ambidextrous!
Huntr,

I'll call dibs since my oldest son is a lefty. Then we can just load one bullet for both rifles!

Tanner,
Nice rig!

I have a feeling yours might be a little more pimped out than this one...grin. I'll be looking for your results.

Interested to see how the 6x42 does on this rifle-I've never used one. I think it'll be plenty for 6-700....

It plenty for that range.

This guy I know left a Montana 243AI at my house with a 6x42 on top. I think the throat is shot and the M1 spins on its own now....

I've seen the barrel match the stock color.....
Huntr,

I'll call dibs since my oldest son is a lefty. Then we can just load one bullet for both rifles!

Ah [bleep], I was going to call dibbs, but then remembered I feel like a monkey [bleep] a football with those weird left handed contraptions whistle Besides, shooting off the bench or shooting sticks or rocks/pack, I'm much faster with a righty wink
Here's some more cobbled up parts stuck together, bought from a different 'Fire dickhead. Just picked the barreled action up this morning. Bedding in progress... then load development with 168 VLDs and 7828 SSC. Will wear a Leupy VX-3 4-14 with a M1 in Talleys.

7 Wizzum

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by joshf303
Here's some more cobbled up parts stuck together, bought from a different 'Fire dickhead. Just picked the barreled action up this morning. Bedding in progress... then load development with 168 VLDs and 7828 SSC. Will wear a Leupy VX-3 4-14 with a M1 in Talleys.

7 Wizzum

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle. Let us know how it shoots once you get the Leo.

Pieter
Who's magazine is that?
Seekins aluminum 3 rounder. Allows for 3.100" of COAL latitude and they're light as heck.

Looks sweet Josh, congrats! Glad someone could get it put together...
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

It plenty for that range.

This guy I know left a Montana 243AI at my house with a 6x42 on top. I think the throat is shot and the M1 spins on its own now....

I've seen the barrel match the stock color.....

Darrik, my man! Did you add some coloring to the bedding material too?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Exactly 10 lbs

Remington model 700 SPS.
Boyd's tacticool laminate stock (comes painted black)
(drilled out rear of stock and lower portion of grip with small plug
hiding hole removing 8 oz)
aluminum tactical knob
barrel: Remington takeoff SS 7 Rem mag rechambered to 7mm/375 Ruger
steel picatinny rail from Optics Planet
Burris extreme aluminum rings Optics Planet
Timney trigger
Leupold VX-3 LR 4.5-14x50 with M1 turrets
Cerakote by friend JJ, 24 hr handle Azcoues

All work was done by me except JJ's cerakoting.
I did Marty -- Zebra bedding!
Now we're talking! We can take that and McShitStick out to kill stuff next month!
This is my "do everything" rifle. It's a Sako 75 with a match barrel chambered in 6,5x47 Lapua, 20" long, 1:8" twist rate. McMillan EDGE Sako 75 stock, factory detach mags, custom picatinny rail, Schmidt and Bender PMII 3-12x50, Roedale Precision suppressor. Loaded with suppressor, sling, stockpack, etc, it weighs in at 10lbs even. Shoots great with the 140gr Amax and I can carry it all day.

[Linked Image]

Youtube Film featuring the rifle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPLLIJ_3kmE
that's sweet!
Nice Sako - what bullet do you hunt with, and what speeds are you getting?
140 grain Amax, I was getting 2780fps, but the pressure was a little high, so I have dropped it back a grain - about 2680 right now, but I haven't chronographed enough to confirm it.

I'm using H4350, but might experiment with RL17 once I finish the 4kg of H4350 that I have.
Impressive speeds it seems in a 20", Do your primers crater or did you have the pin bushed in the factory bolt? Impressive, as you are getting what others will in a Swede, 260, or Creedmoor in a slightly longer barrel. My 75 Gray Wolf 260 shot about 2700 using that bullet.

Thanks for the info and good hunting!
Neat video. Tahr is on my bucket list.
Impressive speeds it seems in a 20", Do your primers crater or did you have the pin bushed in the factory bolt? Impressive, as you are getting what others will in a Swede, 260, or Creedmoor in a slightly longer barrel. My 75 Gray Wolf 260 shot about 2700 using that bullet.

Thanks for the info and good hunting!

I do get cratered primers, I haven't had the firing pin bushed(yet). There are no other pressure signs with my current load (41gr H4350). At my previous load (42gr H4350) I would get the occasional sticky bolt lift + extractor mark.

I am running quite high pressures according to Quickload, in the neighbourhood of 64,000 psi - should be acceptable for the x47 case though.
Originally Posted by SLM
Neat video. Tahr is on my bucket list.

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQuMloJOXGc
Thanks, I would not worry too much on cratering, unless you have blown a primer, and that might indicate needing to change primers or back down a tad. Sounds like the action is running good as is, good to know.

Looks like 41gr is your load, good hunting! Indeed nice video btw - thanks for sharing.
Tag
RBros built 280AI, 24" Broughton finished at .660, McM Hunters Edge, FX3 642. Keep toying with the idea of Kampfeld fluting the barrel.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
RBros built 280AI, 24" Broughton finished at .660, McM Hunters Edge, FX3 642. Keep toying with the idea of Kampfeld fluting the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Oh god Taco, please don't ghetto up this otherwise beautiful stick.
I doubt I ever would go through with it, probably just start a new project before touching this again.
© 24hourcampfire