Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
The Environmental Disaster here is very concerning, the most concerning. At least the air pollution is abated temporarily. Imagine the state of the disturbed seabed at this moment? We must be very careful. Get this right!

The seabed in Baltimore is about 2' or mercury, 3' of lead and 10' of arsenic.

Need proof?

Just look at... or speak to your average Baltimore resident...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Swamplord
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

BINGO...

Thanks for posting that...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Teal
TEU wise - when built, the ships were about 1/3 the size of the Dali. BUT that port handles more than just container ships.

Per this - don't know how accurate, average ship tonnage in 1970 was a hair over 200k

Tonnage.

I worked at the Fort McHenry decades ago... watched like 4,000 cars come out of one ship... Hyundais maybe... I forget.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing
TEU wise - when built, the ships were about 1/3 the size of the Dali. BUT that port handles more than just container ships.

Per this - don't know how accurate, average ship tonnage in 1970 was a hair over 200k

Tonnage.

I worked at the Fort McHenry decades ago... watched like 4,000 cars come out of one ship... Hyundais maybe... I forget.

The RO-RO freight at Baltimore will be the hardest to divert. Not a lot of other ports with the knowledge/facilities to do so.

Me

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The RO-RO freight at Baltimore will be the hardest to divert. Not a lot of other ports with the knowledge/facilities to do so.

I have no personal knowledge of RO-RO freight, but I will concur with you... because you do. There will impacts.

Wilkshunter referenced cement (I think)... that will be another big hit.

Who knows what else.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lotta pts to ponder..but never forget China is at war with the rest of the world and they have Joe biden in their pocket. The very same people who dumped on purpose C-19 on the world. They will do whatever they think they can get away with to further their goals. Killing a few hundred or a thousand people by collapsing a bridge isn't one of them but destroying critical infrastructure might be. Personally I'll be hard pressed to think they aren't involved somehow. Argue all you like because I don't care what you keyboard experts think. Oh and happy easter..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Lotta pts to ponder..but never forget China is at war with the rest of the world and they have Joe biden in their pocket. The very same people who dumped on purpose C-19 on the world. They will do whatever they think they can get away with to further their goals. Killing a few hundred or a thousand people by collapsing a bridge isn't one of them but destroying critical infrastructure might be. Personally I'll be hard pressed to think they aren't involved somehow. Argue all you like because I don't care what you keyboard experts think. Oh and happy easter..mb
That’s a Bridge too Far. (East)

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me about the ship he was stationed on almost running into the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. He said they were going in reverse at about 15 knots and lost power. Had it not been for 2 tugs they'd have ran right over it. He called it dirty fuel and said it happened more than once. Ship lost power long enough to really put them in a bad situation.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by rainshot
The pilot was Ukrainian.

The pilot was a Port of Baltimore guy. Not Ukrainian.

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/...e-ship-pilot-LKDWFY237JFR5NCR7KXZIWRDVA/

Well those Baltimore leftard communists hate capitalism anyway. Was he high on cocaine?

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by kolofardos

I think some of the data recording stopped while the power was out.

Funny post.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
As said before - power comes back on, the ship's hard turn is actually prop walk due to it being single screw. Full astern will cause the stern to swing to port, essentially lining the ship/effectively bow to starboard. It's a physics thing.

Your theory makes sense, Teal. But are you not believing the reports that the propulsion never came back on, and the black smoke was from the backup generator?

This engineer HERE has said that the smoke isn't diesel generator out the stack but main propulsion as fuel pressure comes up.

Far too much smoke for even a big diesel generator.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Wonder what changes will be made so something like this wont happen again

The GOV will take over all shipping operations , country wide, forthwith! Problem solved!

No they will let China handle it.

Dog I rescued in January

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Wonder what changes will be made so something like this wont happen again

The GOV will take over all shipping operations , country wide, forthwith! Problem solved!

No they will let China handle it.

There's an Army Corps of Engineers district office right there in Baltimore, and anther one in Philly. They do a lot of dredging and harbor maintenance construction contracts, and well as civil and vertical construction. They'll get emergency funds and get the contractors onboard quickly. WHoever has those contracts will do well, just like hurricane cleanups.

ETA, I'm talking the cleanup and getting the harbor re-opened, re-building the bridge will take some time.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The eight construction workers were on break when the bridge collapsed. They were all sitting in their cars.

The two bodies they recovered were in a car.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Make of this what you will.

Interesting in that he makes note at about the 22:30 mark that there's a channel coming in from the left, pointing directly at the stern of the vessel, with an outgoing tide running. Hmmmm?

Last edited by Valsdad; 03/29/24.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me about the ship he was stationed on almost running into the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. He said they were going in reverse at about 15 knots and lost power. Had it not been for 2 tugs they'd have ran right over it. He called it dirty fuel and said it happened more than once. Ship lost power long enough to really put them in a bad situation.

Navel History is full of ships running over each other, hitting piers, running ashore, etc. It's amazing how much time major vessels spent in repair over such events.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
A ssholes are always trying to capitalize on someone's problem and don't mind putting out bullshit to boost it up!! Bastards oughta be gored with a hollow horn!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 03/29/24.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Navel History is full of ships running over each other, hitting piers, running ashore, etc. It's amazing how much time major vessels spent in repair over such events.

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,501
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.