Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You guys realize there is nothing on the internet about this deal, except that from this weirdo blog? I wouldn't get too worked up over something that may have not even happened and certainly spun.

I'll refrain from guessing whether your challenge is internet savvy or veracity, but in the linked original article both TV stations cited by their call signs had reports cited and linked in this quoted paragraph:

News sources disagree on the timeline. WISN reports that a school official checked the car, noticed the knives, and then called police; TMJ 4 claims that the police were called to the school because of the smoking incident and then discovered the weapons after searching the car. The latter account makes the authorities look worse since it establishes the act of smoking, rather than the discovery of knives, as the impetus for calling the police.

http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/18/school-insanity-alert-cops-called-becaus

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by Rovering
School Insanity: 17-Year-Old Hunter Faces 'Zero Tolerance' Criminal Charges

How times have changed, and I'm not all that old. The boy's cliques in my high school were the waterfowlers that drove down to the valley and the deer hunters that drove up to the mountains. Fridays, during hunting seasons, there were enough arms and ammo in that parking lot to fill a Cabela's.

Us too, hunted before school and after football practice. Principal told us to keep the guns locked in the trunk and we couldn't just leave them in the gun rack in the pickup cab. /He was afraid somebody might smash and grab.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. ~ Ronald Reagan

We may have been the last American generation to even recognize much less enjoy any real measure of freedom. The fall has been swift and has accelerated, when just middle-aged people see their progeny denied or jailed for such basic freedoms that we never gave them a second thought at their youthful ages. The amount of freedom lost in less than a full generation is disheartening, and seeing so many others heartily defending its confiscation is disgusting.

The doctrine of blind obedience and unqualified submission to any human power, whether civil or ecclesiastical, is the doctrine of despotism, and ought to have no place among Republicans and Christians. ~ Angelica Grimke

[Linked Image]

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The kid is stupid AND rude. He was banned from public school - he should show some gratitude.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
School Insanity: 17-Year-Old Hunter Faces 'Zero Tolerance' Criminal Charges

How times have changed, and I'm not all that old. The boy's cliques in my high school were the waterfowlers that drove down to the valley and the deer hunters that drove up to the mountains. Fridays, during hunting seasons, there were enough arms and ammo in that parking lot to fill a Cabela's.

Us too, hunted before school and after football practice. Principal told us to keep the guns locked in the trunk and we couldn't just leave them in the gun rack in the pickup cab. /He was afraid somebody might smash and grab.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. ~ Ronald Reagan

We may have been the last American generation to even recognize much less enjoy any real measure of freedom. The fall has been swift and has accelerated, when just middle-aged people see their progeny denied or jailed for such basic freedoms that we never gave them a second thought at their youthful ages. The amount of freedom lost in less than a full generation is disheartening, and seeing so many others heartily defending its confiscation is disgusting.

The doctrine of blind obedience and unqualified submission to any human power, whether civil or ecclesiastical, is the doctrine of despotism, and ought to have no place among Republicans and Christians. ~ Angelica Grimke

[Linked Image]

I've taken deer with an SKS. I could see throwing a brick of 7.62 x 39 in the trunk.

This zero tolerance stuff will not prevent another Columbine, and that's what the lawmakers hope. If a kid wants to break the law by killing people, he sure won't give a crap about the impotent Zero Tolerance laws. People need to think.

I took a pocket knife to school in the 7th Grade, My teacher decided that was not cool, took it, gave it back at the end of the day with instructions not to bring it back. Guess what? Problem was solved without a court date and a lawyer.

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I took a pocket knife to school in the 7th Grade, My teacher decided that was not cool, took it, gave it back at the end of the day with instructions not to bring it back. Guess what? Problem was solved without a court date and a lawyer.

[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Oh, no no no! You needed a half dozen squad cars to show up, plus a SWAT van full of commandos to storm the parking lot, and a team of lawyers to milk you dry. That just wasn't handled right. Thankfully, they've corrected it now.

LOL
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Insane!

I went to Cross Keys High School in Atlanta in 1963. Our History teacher said that he wanted to show to the class a WW2 rifle. I told him that I would bring a British Enfield, he said, "Fine."

The next day, I walked up to the school bus stop with the Enfield slung across my shoulder. The driver didn't blink an eye.
A couple of boys on the bus thought is was cool and asked me what kind of rifle it was.
At school, I put the rifle in my locker. I took it to History class, and Mr. Pruitt showed it to the class.

At 3:15, I got back on the school bus with the rifle, in full view, and took it back home.

That was no big deal back in 1963. Don't give me the Lib argument that "easy access to weapons" is the cause of all the school shootings today. We had much easier access in the sixties! In 1963, a 12 year old kid like me could send in fifteen bucks to the ad in the back of Outdoor Life magazine, and a WW2 German Mauser would be mailed, legally to his house. Ah, God, those were the days.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The kid is stupid AND rude. He was banned from public school - he should show some gratitude.

WTF????

Who is this "JOG" character posting here??

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The 2nd amendment is very clear. Most of you have accepted all the limitations placed on it by every podunk bureaucracy from here to China and are cowering under your chairs. Fight back.

Good idea on fighting back and putting "most of us" in our place.

What exactly are you doing to fight back?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This isn't the 1950's anymore. I could and did have a little sympathy for kids who screwed up years ago, but these laws have been on the books longer than this kid has been in school. No excuse for this. The kid was either stupid, or actually did have plans on using the gun for illegal purposes.

But he was just going to the range after school. Yea right. Every time anybody gets caught doing something illegal they always have a lame excuse. Every drunk driver has only had one beer. Every time a gun goes off unintentionally someone was cleaning his gun, and every time a thug gets caught with a gun or knife at school it was an honest mistake. If you believe that story I've got a few bridges for sale.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

WTF????

Who is this "JOG" character posting here??

"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored."

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I fail to see how a smoking incident lead to anything to do with his car. The story is admittedly poorly written and sets up a big problem with "probable cause" - even on the school grounds. A good attorney would have a field day. Now if the kid "verbally consented" to a vehicle search, than its a different story.
But right now the reporting is "fubar".

I'm thinkin' "plain view" is in play here. What an idiot. Any kid (or adult for that matter) that doesn't respect the idea that some stuff ain't allowed in some places is just stupid. Maybe he'll learn a lesson.

Yep, Only police should have loaded firearms anywhere other than on an actual firearms range. Too bad your brothers and sisters couldn't have got him to make a sudden move so they could have offed him right there.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored."

Your problem prob'ly is you've been out living, instead of sitting at home on the 'puter like everybody else.

If ya run into SteveNO out there, tell him Birdwatcher said hi.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Your problem prob'ly is you've been out living, instead of sitting at home on the 'puter like everybody else.

Yeah, right. I had to stay off the Campfire for an additional month to try and limit the crush my wife had on you during your Epic Journey this summer. It was stupid of me to mention it. She read your stuff every day and was disappointed and worried if you missed a day.

I told her you were an ol' duff and making it all up.

Robert Frost
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hmmmmmmmmmm... I had firearms when I was in high school, but I didn't take 'em to school. Why bother?

I could easily drive home after school and needed to go home anyway to change into my hunting clothes if I was going hunting or older clothes if I was going to the rifle range and get a rifle (squirrels) or a shotgun (pheasants, quail & rabbits) and ammo... THEN, go hunting or target shooting.

There was NEVER any REAL reason to take a gun to school or even have one in the old cars I had back then.

But who ever needed 400 rounds of ammo and/or a bayonet-capable rifle to go "hunting" or "shooting"???

Frankly, the kid's "story" sounds a little "fishy", but then... perhaps he isn't lying. I really don't know... but since it's felt he didn't plan on shooting his fellow students or causing other mayhem, the "fall-out" does seem kinda harsh.

Of course, when I was in high-school, the guys who smoked were thought to be "hoods". Of course, that was over 60 years ago... and times have certainly "changed" at this point-in-time.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler
zero tolerance or not the kid is an idiot...

Agreed. In these days and times, anyone who is a gun enthusiast should know better than to have a gun in their vehicle on school grounds. and a bayonet and knives and 400 rounds of ammo?!!! and he got caught smoking in school. The kid is a dumb -ass!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.