Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Well, I got to handle and look this rifle over for a few minutes today. What a beauty! Nary a mark or wear indication upon it. Photos (13 of them, lots of detail and angles) have been sent to those who requested them. I will try to a post a couple of them up here soon as well. I have to get them from my I-phone to my computer and then onto photobucket. Not up to all of that right now.

Serial number, for those who wish to know, is 5609XX

Rifle has unused target blocks only for sighting arraingments. No sights. Scope mounting screws do not look to have ever been touched by a screwdriver. Very wide forend with sling adjuster and position shooting type sling attachment. 26 inch bull barrel. Zero bluing loss anywhere including the bolt, extractor, raceways, muzzle, floorplate etc. no finish loss on the stock save for a couple of VERY minor handling marks that would dissapear with some Old English but I nor the rifle's owner are going to attempt to cover the only and very insignificant marks.

I hope that one of the great fellows here at the 'fire gets to add this to his collection.

That's nice of you to try to help a buddy out in selling this. It was manufactured in 1962 according to Rule. Late 62 in fact. Somehow, your always off on your DOM???? No biggie as it's only 1 year. I look forward to seeing some pics. If winpoor ends up buying it, I'm sure he'll post some regardless. Good luck with your sale. Sounds like a nice one. Did you check to see if it had a "T" stamped on the trigger?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got the date from the owner before I saw the rifle, His estimate. No "T" stamped on the trigger, and I looked. But the owner tells me that these later ones did not have the "T" stamped. I do not know if this is correct or not, but this sure looks to my untrained eye like a near perfect specimen. And, this is the same person/owner who inherited the other Model 70's that a couple of guys here have purchased and been quite happy with.

Last edited by safariman; 11/30/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I know a guy that bought a 300H&H rifle that was built from a short mag action and was "quite happy with" it as well wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Maybe I missed it....what is the asking price?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Poconojack

$2750 plus $40 for shipping and ins, USPS.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd have that baby in so many different poses by now that it would make our heads spin. Why you keeping the pictures from the open forum? I'm sure guys like reelman, handwerk, balltownbob, bobinNH, gunwizard, oregon45, winpoor, whitebird, poconojack, stuvwxyz, blackdog1, and many more would probably like to throw their 2 cents in. This would be helpful to the potential buyer and seller.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Safariman sent me photos of the gun, it is a very nice example! My problem is a small mil spec flip phone that really does not do justice vis the photos. I am .243 Varminter heavy, They are really same guns sans marksman stock. My late Varminter has a CM barrel vs the usual SS, mottled barrel, from my photos I can not tell is this gun is CM or SS. Price is fair and in line!! Im bumping 80 long guns and need to clean house before any new ones inbound. Im also bleeding cowfeed this time of year and that always locks the checkbook up! My dealings with Safariman have been good .I have noticed that the .243 has made a big comeback in last couple years. I never had a problem nailing whitetails with the cal., once I got on the correct bullet. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hope all goes well for the buyer and seller. I'm done with this one..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by Poconojack

$2750 plus $40 for shipping and ins, USPS.

Would the price be lower if there was no middle man (you)? What would be the best way to communicate directly with the owner?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Safariman: My 2 cents worth on the M70 Target. I have a Swift Target model made in 1950. Bought it 2-3 years ago from a nationally known dealer in old 70s. I bought another target model from the same dealer in .270 Win.which, caliber-wise, is fairly rare. When I got the .270 I decided to have another very sharp old M70 man look it over for authenticity and he told me it was a parts guns, even though the common things like s.n. matching, etc was correct. I sent it back and got a re-fund.

I have a fair number of old 70s in both shooters and collectors and have looked at many more. And as you probably know, these rifles are probably one of the most messed with models of guns out there. There were many little variations with the target models alone: sight options, stainless and blued barrels, especially in some calibers, "T" marked triggers (not all target models have this mark") and the list goes on and on.

Were I spending money on an old 70 for investment purposes, I would not buy another target unless the deal was tremendous. As I've looked at prices of the common target calibers in the past 2-3 years, a number of other variations have appreciated much better, for example, .375s,.300 H&Hs.

I would say that you could find a .243 Varmint in comparable condition for a bit less money than a .243 Target and still have the same fun shooting it, if that's how you want to use it.

As I said, just my 2 $ worth. Good Luck.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ruffed grouse,

Thanks for your input and as you say .2c worth. This rifle is coming from a local and well know collection and the few rifles that have been released from it have all been correct and exemplary pieces. But, I know where you are coming from and understand your cautions.

Not my gun, anyways. Just putting notice here in the event that someone at this site and forum had the hots for one of these in a rare caliber.

MARK

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.