Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Backroads
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Ask Gus. I'm too tired.

Why so tired? Have you been drinking? Where are you coming from?
Maybe we should have a look at what is in your car,you don't mind, do you?

From working three jobs. Why are you so angry? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not your fault.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Backroads
Ask Gus. I'm too tired.

Why so tired? Have you been drinking? Where are you coming from?
Maybe we should have a look at what is in your car,you don't mind, do you?

From working three jobs. Why are you so angry? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not your fault.

Pretty evasive, if you don't consent we will have to bring in the K-9.
It may sound like we are randomly targeting people driving, but don't worry, this is how we catch major criminals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The SCOTUS has ruled that a warrant isn't needed for a vehicle, just consent or probable cause.

yes and probable cause does not stem soley from a "traffic" stop. They must have probable cause of a criminal act too. No probable cause then illegal search.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy Pat, sounds like there's a Mensa card in his wallet.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...If you're a criminal, I'll be more than happy to intrude on your personal life...take your rights away too.

...there is thin line between anarchy and libertarianism and unfortunately, most anarchists believe they're libertarians.

Do they teach you, at the academy, to demonize ordinary citizens who don't want an overbearing .gov?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We don't want meth on the streets or in our schools but we don't want police to look for it.

We don't want illegal criminals running around raping our wives or daughters yet we don't want the police stopping or looking for them.

We don't want drunks driving around putting good folks on the roads at risk but we don't want police stopping anyone looking for the drunks.

Just what the flying hell do we want cops to do? The are hired to catch the bad guys but just don't look for any bad guys.

Am I the only non LEO who see a problem here.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F
We don't want meth on the streets or in our schools...

We don't want illegal criminals...

We don't want drunks...

Scott--it's not working, so far.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by pal
Seems an awful lot of LE, here, are willing to intrude on our personal lives and give away our rights. Never would I give permission to search.

If you're a criminal, I'll be more than happy to intrude on your personal life...take your rights away too.

I willing to bet even if I'm not a criminal and holier than the Pope you would still be willing to do that.

I was told by a cop
"Everyone's guilty of something, they just haven't been caught yet".

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
...If you're a criminal, I'll be more than happy to intrude on your personal life...take your rights away too.

...there is thin line between anarchy and libertarianism and unfortunately, most anarchists believe they're libertarians.

Do they teach you, at the academy, to demonize ordinary citizens who don't want an overbearing .gov?

Yes they do then they get refresher courses on that via fusion centers. You are guilty of something, somehow, someway and if you aren't then you should support asset forfeiture so the officer goes away from the interaction with at least valuables.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We don't want meth on the streets or in our schools but we don't want police to look for it.

We don't want illegal criminals running around raping our wives or daughters yet we don't want the police stopping or looking for them.

We don't want drunks driving around putting good folks on the roads at risk but we don't want police stopping anyone looking for the drunks.

Just what the flying hell do we want cops to do? The are hired to catch the bad guys but just don't look for any bad guys.

Here is what Scott is talking about, but too bashful to share the full details:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/03/civil-asset-forfeiture-7-things-you-should-know

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Scott, what we as a people have to ask our ourselves is do we want a free society or an authoritarian (unfree) society?

In a free society police force is retaliatory. This means that force is used AFTER a crime is committed. This approach assumes that we are all innocent until proven guilty.

In an authoritarian (unfree) society police force is initiated. This means force is used BEFORE a crime is committed. This approach assumes we are all criminals who haven't been caught yet.

I prefer the free society approach.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by pal
Seems an awful lot of LE, here, are willing to intrude on our personal lives and give away our rights. Never would I give permission to search.

If you're a criminal, I'll be more than happy to intrude on your personal life...take your rights away too.

I willing to bet even if I'm not a criminal and holier than the Pope you would still be willing to do that.

I doubt it. Mental commitments are a PITA.

"I doubt it. Mental commitments are a PITA."

THAT'S got to rank waaay up there as far as 'fire putdowns. Too bad the guy is too into himself to appreciate the sheer quality of it.

Last edited by curdog4570; 12/18/14.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Is there ever a good time to consent to a search?

Absolutely. If they hired only cops who look like Refrigerator Girl, I'd volunteer to be searched constantly. And thoroughly.

Someone needs to post that pic as a reminder...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What? No one's going to post Refrigerator Girl?

The 'Fire disappoints today...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If, god forbid, one of your loved ones were killed by a drunk driver. Would you be content with his arrest and conviction or is it ok with you that the cops are looking for drunks before they wreck. I too am uneasy with some of the police tactics but when you try to make this simple it comes down to totalitarianism or anarchy. I do not want either, but if you want it simple which do you want?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
DUI drivers are rather easy to spot.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A search is going to determine whether a driver is drunk or not?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[Linked Image]

That's her twin, Porch Girl.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FYI...found this while surfing.

What the ACLU says to do if stopped by police

The American Civil Liberties Union has released apps that provide tips about how to respond when met by police, and two Portland, Oregon, attorneys plan to release their own app called "Driving While Black" that specifically deals with traffic stops.

Portland police spokesman Pete Simpson says the department has no problem with apps that encourage safe encounters. Simpson says if you're right and the officer is wrong, it's better to take the high road during a stop and take it up later. "Know your rights and exercise them, but be safe about it," he said.

Here's a checklist of ways to make sure police encounters remain peaceful, without squandering rights, courtesy of the ACLU.

� Stay calm and in control of your words, body language, and emotions. Anything you say or do can be used against you.

� Do not argue with officers. If you feel you must tell police they are wrong, do so in a non-confrontational way.

� Keep your hands where police can see them and do not touch an officer or resist physically.

� If arrested, ask for a lawyer immediately. Explaining your situation without a lawyer may harm your case.

� You may ask for officers' names, badge numbers and business cards.

� You never have to consent to a search of yourself or your belongings, including your cellphone.

� Try to find witnesses and write down their names and phone numbers.

� If hurt, take photos of the injuries, but get medical attention first. Ask for copies of your medical treatment files.

� Write down everything you remember immediately after the encounter.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2014/12/11/what-aclu-says-to-do-if-stopped-by-police/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.