Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
we got whey back from the cheese factory milk truck.
For years I thought whey back was one word.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idared
Originally Posted by roundoak
Idared, Guernsey breed.

Thanks, I thought they were but couldn't tell for sure. My wife grew up milking Guernsey cows in Minnesota but everything around where I grew up in Wisconsin was pretty much Holstein.

In my neck of the woods for years it was dotted with small farms and the Guernsey and Jersey breeds were popular in the 15 - 30 milk cow herds. We actually had a 40 cow stanchion barn. Later, Granddad and Dad built a calf barn and moved out the calves and added another 20 stanchions. County extension agents and banks began encouraging farmers to get bigger and take advantage of economy of scale. Gdad and Dad figured rather than add more cows (Guernsey's) bring Holstein's into the herd because the breed can out produce the Jersey's and Guernsey's. That worked good in theory, however the more Holstein's were added the milk check went down because Holstein's produce lower butterfat.

To bring the milk check back up they were faced with going back to Guernsey's or increase the size of the barn to increase production. They did not want to keep up with the Jones's and go into debt so they sold the milk cows and focused on crops and beef cattle.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
we got whey back from the cheese factory milk truck.
For years I thought whey back was one word.

laugh

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Roundoak

Were there any Milking Shorthorn herds near you?

My uncle who lived near Sauk City had a herd of them for several years but eventually switched to Holsteins.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idared
Roundoak

Were there any Milking Shorthorn herds near you?

My uncle who lived near Sauk City had a herd of them for several years but eventually switched to Holsteins.

Yes, as a matter of fact, a Great Uncle had a herd circa 1930 - 1965 near Lancaster, WI. His daughters showed them at the local and state fair.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Roundoak

Interesting that your udderly historic thread came up just now.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered a bunch of my Dad's old milk cans in my shed. So I decided to decorate one of them with our old farm scene. Just finished it a couple of days ago.

All the buildings are gone now except the house.

WN

[Linked Image]

How many 22 barrels got fried shooting sparrows and starlings off that barn roof? whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

How many 22 barrels got fried shooting sparrows and starlings off that barn roof? whistle [/quote]

grin My Remington 512A with open sights and I went through about a brick per month. $5.00 a brick for yellow carton Super X's at the local feed mill.

Gophers and barn pigeons got hammered, too! We had the fattest cats around! Even the neighbor's cats would show up when they heard shooting. crazy

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WN, with all that shoot'n going on who patched the barn roof? grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Head shots! grin

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Originally Posted by eyeball
You wasted a lot of feed if you gave them enough keep them wink occupied long enough to have time to milk through two cows.

Did you make sweet or sour cream butter?

No butter made on the farm during my era. For several years we bought butter from the truck driver that picked up our canned milk.

I had a canned milk pick-up route for a couple of years and delivered butter and cheese from the route while loading the cans of milk from the cooling tanks. Like working on our farm, loading milk cans built muscle and character, and probably contributed to my bad back now!!

Hauling canned milk would have been a tough job, not only the labor part but navigating the roads winter and spring plus farm roads and barnyards. We had a Ford 8N that we could attach a 3-point platform with sides that we hauled hogs around the farm. If the farm road got to bad we would haul the cans out to the main road to meet the milk truck.

Did your milk truck have a whey tank mounted on the truck box? I don't remember how many days in the week that we took a delivery of whey. We had a livestock water tank with two exit pipes with shutoffs that directed the whey into the troughs of two seperate hog pens.

No whey tank on the truck but I did hear the "ol timers" tell me about it on many occasion. Had a snowplow and chains on one of the rear duals on each side the truck in the winter and helped out many a stuck vehicle with a tow and they followed me down the road if the county was not out. Can remember a time when 20 some vehicles followed me out to the main hwy. Could always move in the snow but steering could sometimes be tough.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can remember the milk trucks using chains when it got bad, plus there were a couple trucks that had "sanders" mounted just behind the fuel saddle tanks that dropped sand in front of the duals. I think they were used just to get traction from a starting stop then turned off.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.