Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by john843
Another thing you may notice is that the bolt doesn't cycle as smooth as some at first. This is easily fixed by sitting in front of the TV one night and just cycling it fully for 100-200 times. I've done this with 3 SS Hawkeyes and now they're as smooth as my FN Mod.70. Also, what SAS said about the mag box is important. If it's tight you usually just need to file a tiny bit off the two rear feet of the box where it straddles the floorplate tab. A 1/16th or so will do it.

John

I did this on all 3 I have. Lather up the action with valve grinding paste and work a bazillion times. I also smoothed up the bolt raceways with emery cloth and a Midway raceway tool. They are slick.

I too wouldn't rush out to buy a Timney. I've done ~ 15-20 Ruger triggers. They are a piece of cake to adjust if you have a smidge of mechanical skills. Take some metal off the sear 'beak', polish the sear contact surfaces, cut a coil or two off the trigger spring. voila 3-3.5 lbs, no creep.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am not sure why people call the Savage rifles "butt ugly". To me they look the same as the other rifles i have (Winny, Marlin). NO difference really. But what i do know is my savage is the best shooter i own and its my go to rifle. Perfect weight, accurate right out of the box with the cheap scope (since replaced).

Also noticed the recoil seems less with my 116 in 308 vs my marlin 308. I don't think you can go wrong with savage to be honest.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by john843
Another thing you may notice is that the bolt doesn't cycle as smooth as some at first. This is easily fixed by sitting in front of the TV one night and just cycling it fully for 100-200 times. I've done this with 3 SS Hawkeyes and now they're as smooth as my FN Mod.70. Also, what SAS said about the mag box is important. If it's tight you usually just need to file a tiny bit off the two rear feet of the box where it straddles the floorplate tab. A 1/16th or so will do it.

John

I did this on all 3 I have. Lather up the action with valve grinding paste and work a bazillion times. I also smoothed up the bolt raceways with emery cloth and a Midway raceway tool. They are slick.

I too wouldn't rush out to buy a Timney. I've done ~ 15-20 Ruger triggers. They are a piece of cake to adjust if you have a smidge of mechanical skills. Take some metal off the sear 'beak', polish the sear contact surfaces, cut a coil or two off the trigger spring. voila 3-3.5 lbs, no creep.

If you are willing to buy the Timney, you should definitely try improving the ruger trigger first. I buy a spring from Ernie the gunsmith and polish the bearing surface. If you screw it up you can always buy the Timney.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck with whatever you decide on. I am not a Remington guy by any means, but one of the most beautiful rifles I've seen was a Rem 700 CDL-SF, stainless steel fluted barrel in a beautiful wood stock. I don't know if they're still in production but I thought the aesthetic was really nice. The owner was a sniper in local law enforcement and knew a thing or two about rifle build and accuracy.

All my rifles are flat bottom actions, Ruger, Howa/Weatherby, TC Icons, Mod 70, etc.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by False_Cast
Thanks everyone for your input.

After handling a few rifles and doing a bunch of reading, I couldn't pass up Darrik's deal so I have an M77 Hawkeye All-Weather 30-06 en route from Whittaker's. Darrik and Ben were fantastic to deal with. I will be going back to them, without a doubt.

With the smoking deal I got, I already have a solid head start on a Montana in some short action flavor.

I'm happy to have this Hawkeye on its way. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Soo... its too late to say browning X-bolt?

Hey thanks for telling us what you got. Many poster throws these out here and then it turns into a back alley dog fight that you don't want to be around ;-)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 444Matt
False_Cast I think you'll be happy with the Ruger, I sure am with mine!

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've got a Winchester Mod 70 stainless classic and 2 Ruger Mk II's with the Zytel stock. I like the Winchester a lot but I wouldn't give up my Rugers at all. And I always have my eyes open for another. I like them. They shoot well too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
UPDATE

I wanted to thank you guys for guiding me in the right direction. I bought this Hawkeye at a great price from Whittaker's and they were super easy to deal with and helpful. I then almost sold it in a moment of indecisiveness but collected myself and mounted a Conquest and took it hunting. Didn't find a timber goat with suitable headgear this year but I'm very happy with the rifle (and that's with no mods). Shot very acceptably with otc 180 corelokts and a binding magbox. The Hawkeye will get a trigger job, magbox fix, and be bedded in a McMillan before too long.

Overall, I'm remarkably happy with the Hawkeye.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent choice. I think you'll be very happy with that one... I had one in 308 win for a while and it was a great rifle...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by False_Cast
UPDATE

I wanted to thank you guys for guiding me in the right direction. I bought this Hawkeye at a great price from Whittaker's and they were super easy to deal with and helpful. I then almost sold it in a moment of indecisiveness but collected myself and mounted a Conquest and took it hunting. Didn't find a timber goat with suitable headgear this year but I'm very happy with the rifle (and that's with no mods). Shot very acceptably with otc 180 corelokts and a binding magbox. The Hawkeye will get a trigger job, magbox fix, and be bedded in a McMillan before too long.

Overall, I'm remarkably happy with the Hawkeye.

[Linked Image]

Thats a good looking rig! Nice scope choice

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Got Hawkeyes in both 280 and '06. Both are more than accurate enough, reliable and tough. Haven't been disappointed with either of them.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.