I am debating with a wealthy African American friend on this very subject right now.

I love that article - especially when he talks about white exhaustion.

here is what I wrote to my friend

------------
As long as black offenders – and young black men in particular – are over-represented in America’s crime statistics, there is always going to be an inequality in multiple aspects of racial bias.

That's going to play out it neighborhoods that aren't diverse, especially in big city urban communities.

Whether the problem is racial or poverty based is irrelevant to many at this point but its important to note that this cycle of poverty has continued for 40 years even with multiple programs designed to end it or create opportunities for it to be decreased.

You look at Baltimore in particular - since the late 60s and era of civil rights law enactment the people of Baltimore have overwhelmingly voted in Democrats. African Americans have been well represented in political positions and community activism. Baltimore is the closest major city to Washington D.C. and has had as much political exposure for change as any city in America.

If any city should be a blueprint for eliminating the cycle of poverty and the resulting racial bias that has been created from it, its Baltimore.

Yet virtually nothing has changed since the mid 60's in the urban centers of the city.

What is the appropriate length of time to be given before someone is allowed to say - you know what - that's on them, not everyone else? At what point can you say they've squandered opportunity after opportunity to get away from the behaviors and environment that continues to put them in a situation where 13% of the population generates a disproportionate level of crime. Another decade? two decades?

Why is it wrong for someone to note that African American children in Baltimore and every other city in America have access to a free public education and from that can attend a vocational school, a college or join the military as an opportunity to get out of that poverty - the same opportunity afforded every American in this country? Yes, there are obstacles, yes, there is racial bias, but what is holding them back is not the external world beyond the city blocks of their neighborhood - its the environment and culture developed within the city blocks of Baltimore - the city run by officials elected by these people, with mayors in charge of the police. 4 of the last 5 mayors of Baltimore were African American, representing 21 out of 29 years of elected office.

I'm not holding them back - my neighbors aren't holding them back. That's the general attitude of America outside of Baltimore (and other cities with similar problems). Baltimore is holding Baltimore back.

------------------

Last edited by KFWA; 06/15/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings