Some many Moons ago, when primer brissance was THE topic, and folks were starting to noodle around with smaller flash holes, bushings, over primer wads and all sorts of other "ignition" related extrapolations,
...... SPG's magazine ( had a great article with a photo essay of various primers fired in the dark, high speed camera recorded. If it wasn't BPCR news, it was either Accurate Rifle, or such. Hell, may have been ASSRA's rag.
Anyhow, it sure put to rest any doubts one might have regarding modern primers throwing a LOT of screaming hot particles,....and quite a distance, at that.
I'd reckon that the general concensus thereafter was to avoid light charges of those powders coated with retardants.

While 4198 may well fall into that (retardant) category, I'm pretty certain that 5744 does NOT.

Sure looking forward to seeing the pics of this Pedersoli's residues / wreckage / final remains. Would LOVE to know it's vintage, too.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/17/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain