I guess it depends on one's definition of a tackdriver - 1" to maybe 1 1/2" at 50 yards, or rimfire BR or Olympic standards?

A lot of .22's will group ammo they like into very small groups and those same rifles will group bad ammo - or just good ammo they don't like - into mediocre groups.

Lots and lots of mid-tier target and sporting .22 bolt action rifles were made in the 1950's and 1960's by Remington and Winchester, e.g. a Remington 513,, even some of the lesser marques like Mossberg made excellent rifles. Back then the manufacturers would often produce a sporter and a target version of the same rifle, the only difference being maybe a heavier/longer barrel and heavier position shooting stock. But the actions and barrel quality were the same. They ruled the roost for decades and a lot of them are lying around waiting to be found. They are getting spendy these days but good condition examples can still be found in the $400 range. $700 would get you a top notch specimen. Either way you can get a rifle that would cost north of $1000 if produced today. You can't hardly shoot one out and even if the crown is damaged by improper cleaning a quick touch up brings them back like new. That would be my recommendation - but then I am biased toward old walnut and steel. wink

With modern rifles Ruger 10/22's with the factory heavy barrel are real tackdrivers. The 20" barrel version is way too muzzle heavy IMO but the 16" "Tactical" model balances very well - I have one of those and it feels very lively in the hands even with the heavy profile barrel. Marlin 39's cost more but are generally very accurate although the factory triggers might not match some other rifles. Either one would fit your budget with room to spare.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!