Originally Posted by 3040Krag
Sako75,
What outfit was your GGG Grandfather in? My GGGrandfather was in "E" Company 12th Tennessee Cavalry and he rode with Forrest. He was 40 years old when the war began and a Methodist preacher. I still have his Bible.

mine was born in 1835 and died in 1929...he joined Dr. Buchanan's cavalry near Nashville ... our family was one of the first in what became davidson county

this is the one:

11th Battalion, Tennessee Cavalry (Gordon's)
This regiment also called the 10th was organized in January, 1862. Later the battalion merged into the 6th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.

Company A - Captain James T. Wheeler - Men from Giles County.
Company B - Captain William W. Gordon (to lieutenant colonel), W.H. Abernathy - Men from Giles County.
Company C - Captain Edward E. Buchanan - "The Barron Guards" - Men from Davidson County.
Company D - Captain Edward L. Ensley - Men from Davidson County.
Company E - Captain William W. Roundtree - Men from Davidson County.
Company F - Captain Martin B. Foutch - Men from DeKalb County and Smith County.

Last edited by SAKO75; 06/25/15.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984