In the U.S. we have always had a conflict between private property rights and the concept of wildlife belonging to "us," in whatever form we want to express land and game ownership.

Despite increasing governmental limits on capitalism, the U.S. still has one of the least-regulated economies on earth. As a result money will always talk louder than wildlife--and the average hunter. I hate this as much as anybody and probably more than most, having grown up in Montana long before anybody dreamed of leasing hunting rights, and also having hunted in many other places where pay-to-hunt is the system, whether in Texas, Europe or Africa.

My experience is that the more power any country, state or province allows landowners to charge for hunting any sort of game, the more landowners want. This does allow more hunting--for people willing and able to pay the price. Whether this is fair or correct is another question.

But the trend never bends back toward the public-land hunter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck