Originally Posted by Greenhorn

That said, it's a bunch of BS when some will rub shoulders with their favorite buddy politician (or vice versa) to have some special seasons, licenses, or hunts, to their benefit, and maybe to those happy as a fly on a turd to load up the pickup and gun down cows over the door frame of the truck.

With a ten week season, last thing MT needs is rifle (shoulder) hunts before archery season, or after the season. Would be a shame to be like Colorado someday when we'll have to pick our hunt, one of 6 seasons, each a week long, one weapon. While watching (insert celebrity name here) gun down a big rutting bull on a private ranch on a special landowner license.

I don't disagree with any of that and I'm not saying MT should be like CO because our season structure sucks. I wish we had a 10 week season, but it ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.

And I'm not advocating any "gunning down cows over the doorframe;" that's not how it's done. I went along on one of those hunts and I'm pretty sure we didn't hunt from the truck, because I remember putting a hind quarter on my shoulder and carrying it a mile. Just another way to thin herds that bunch up on private land.

Landowner tags is a subject into itself, and the politics here are worse than MT. But if a guy has a big spread, he should get some tags to hunt his own land. And if someone wants to pay him 15K to shoot a bull, I figure that's their business, and nobody else's.

Personally, I'd rather hunt public land.

A wise man is frequently humbled.