Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have some 150 gr. SP .308's and they shoot good.

I remember seeing "wasp shaped" bullets in their catalog MANY years ago, never tried any. Evidently that idea went away.

DF

DF, i remember ads for those bullets back around 1973-74. the "Wasp Waist Sonic Bullet", and the claim that the reduced bearing surface reduced pressures, resulting in higher velocity. though a young handloader at that time, i thought they were a gimmick. i checked an old publication, and they cost about $4.75 per hundred.

at that same time they also had "Banana Peel Bullets", and the claim that the inside of the jacket was "scored" to aid in mushrooming.

both of the above pills were reasonably close to the prices of Sierra, Speer, and Hornady--about $5.00 per hundred, or 5 cents per pill.

at around this same time, i recall an ad for "Bitterroot Bullets", a bonded bullet. checking the old price, it cost about $6.00 per 20, at the high price of 30 cents each!

i remember being shocked by the price of "Elk Mountain Alaskan" Bullets--a pill with a two part core, with heavy tungsten in the rear of the pill. They cost $5.50 per 5 back then--over 40 years ago, for a cost of $1.10 each--a near unthinkable price back then.

no wonder Sierra, Speer, and Hornady were staples--good bullets at great prices, and just plain vanilla that performed very well...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...