Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Pretty much what the title states, I am trying to load for a 223 Remington with 55r bullets and was hoping someone had a good recipe with H335.

Thanks!

BurninDupont

I was just looking at this post to see what had been added and went to your original load question and the light bulb came on. And I hope you know your asking a "loaded" question.

You say "I am trying to load for a 223 Remington with 55r bullets" BUT didn't say what type rifle. I have two AR15 rifles and a Savage bolt action .223 and the throat on the Savage is the same length as my AR15 rifles. Years ago I had a Remington .223 with the shorter type throat so be careful . Meaning any load data given here like what I posted earlier "may" be too hot for your rifle. I posted 25 grains of H335 for a 55 grain bullet for my LONGER throated rifles and the #9 Hornady manual for a "SHORT" throated .223 is 23.2 grains of H335 for the same 55 grain bullet.

[Linked Image]

Look at the link below and the first throat/freebore figures listed for the Savage chambers. My Savage .223 throat length is .0566 and the same as a AR15 rifle.

HOLLIGER ON .223/5.56 CHAMBERS
www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm

And even more variations in chambers below, so be careful of "what you read on the internet".

[Linked Image]

Bottom line, my .223 Savage with a 1 in 9 twist has the same throat/freebore length as a AR15 rifle.
Savage decided their chambers needed to be big enough for the .223 cartridge and be able to fit the company lawyer in.

5.56 vs .223 – What You Know May Be Wrong
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

The chart below shows that the throats can cause approximate 6,000 psi difference with the same powder charge.

[Linked Image]

I'm on my fifth cup of copy and glad the light bulb came on. So the moral of the story is never trust faceless strangers on the internet until you have cross checked the information at least a few thousand times.

Last edited by bigedp51; 08/28/15.