BTW.... most of the real world smokeless teachers don;t teach huge powder loads and huge bullets, not until Graduate School anyways.

I don't see where i recommended HUGE bullets or loads. The 1-24 twist of the Savage is better suited to a 300gr bullet. No one said anything about a need to shoot them fast. 5744 barely breaks 2000fps with a 300gr bullet.

If Triple Se7en knew anything about smokeless he would know 43gr of 5744 and a 300gr bullet is far from producing harsh recoil in the Savage.

Barnes and Hornady both sell a .458 in 250gr if you "dont want to wreck" your shoulder. LOL

Many of the cheaper 300gr 458s work very well with mild loads. Im no fan of 5744 but it offers plenty of velocity for the Rem, Sierra or Hornady 300gr JHPs. They perform well at 1800fps or even a little less. 5744 can be a bit rough on sabots when you get close to max load data.

60-63gr of Reloder7 and a 458 300gr is no speed demon but its very reliable. Its also easy on the sabots compared to the faster burning powders. Its only real drawback is it is not very good for 250gr bullets.

These loads are far from advanced user status and recoil is very manageable in the Savage. You could go even higher with Reloder7 but personally i prefer other powders if you have a need for speed.

I would also suggest you look for some SR4759 before supplies are gone. Its a very good all around powder but its been discontinued. Velocity is better than 5744 and i prefer its pressure curve a bit better than 5744.