That makes perfect sense to use standard bullets for deer. I tell guys this all the time, but they keep complaining about premiums and pencil holes. 100 lb. deer don't need premiums, unless they are driven to extreme velocities. You knew exactly what I was talking about. I have used 140 grain ballistic tips on elk at 3,200-3,350 fps (depending on rifle). I only had one scary experience where the bullet only went into the front point of the shoulder at 200 yards on a 4x4 bull. The bullet mushroomed perfectly ( I have it in my box) and the bull dropped dead and never moved. The bullet didn't touch any bone or vitals. The bullet was stuck in the shoulder meat. There was a 3 inch circle of blood shot meat around the bullet. That was one of my "shock" kills. There is NO other reason that bull died, and died instantly. He never even twitched a hair. Weird as heck!!!! All others completely blew through both shoulders, or lungs with HUGE exit holes and wound channeld. I have always shot 165 grain ballistic tips in the .30-06. All have been found under the hide on the off side perfectly mushroomed, even after going through shoulders. Muzzle velocity is 2,800 fps. I have hit them at 50 yards and several hundred yards. One moose bit the bullet at 20 yards with a lung shot. Bullet was found under the skin in the off side shoulder perfectly mushroomed. I hit one spike bull straight on with the same load at 85 yards. The bullet went through the heart and lungs shredding them and was found laying agains the diaphram with a BEAUTIFUL mushroom. It weighed 114 grains. I don't think 20+ deer, a moose and 9 elk have been lucky. I full on trust the bullet, although I don't try and bust through shoulders at short range. I have only had the one bullet act weird. All others have been stellar! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.