I've used alot of Partitions. They open fast and will shed their front cores at high impact speeds. But, they always have worked for me, time and time again. Regardless as what was hit.
<br> Gun Tests magazine has tested lots of Grand Slams in various cartriage, the .243, the .308, the .30-06, the 7 mm and .300 Win Magnum. When compared to the NP bullet, they didn't work as well. Their front cores are lost more easily than the NP, along with the front jacket portion. The exception is the .243 bullet. It, however, is not a dual core design like the others.
<br> The elk class stuff is much harder to kill, and put down, than the deer class stuff. Again, even the little .243/.257 stuff works on them in the NP design. I mean breaks shoulders and penetrates the lungs. Every time as long as the range isn't too long, i.e. over 200 yds. In contrast, I've seen such animals stay on their feet, and keep moving after one, or more, lung shots with everything up to and including the .338 Win Mag. Not uncommon for such critters, rare, but it does happen with the deer class stuff.
<br> The .270, with NP's, doesn't leave enough of a blood trail with lung shots on such critters ? I've had a few travel on me after taking a 7X57/140 gr. NP through the lungs. Say 400-800 yds. I found them. Enough blood, they were dead when found, and they were shot through the lungs.
<br> The bullet looses too much at short ranges, and leaves a small wound channel ? I suggest breaking at least one shoulder at such ranges. Not that hard to hit as a rule. I wouldn't worry about the damage. If you break a near shoulder and pass through the lungs, mine have all gone right down, like a CNS shot. Lots of damage from the bone fragments, etc. Do the off side shoulder, and even the toughest critter can't move very well, assuming they stay on their feet. Again, the NP can be trusted to do the job. E