The fellers over on Marlinowners.com seem to like the Glenfields a lot, and aren't real fond of the dual band rifles, they like the capped forearms of the house brands.
Some claim the capped guns shoot better.

Of course, they are adamantly opposed to the Remlin guns, favoring the JM marked guns, either Marlin or house brands.

Based on the new guns I've looked at, I don't blame them a bit, and looked pretty hard for an older gun when I bought a 1960 336SC this spring. It's an odd configuration, but I like it a lot. Some of the house brand Glenfields mimic it, with the 20" barrel and half-magazine. Nice little rifles.

The newer ones I've looked at, have had canted front sights, and poorly fitted wood furniture. They are getting a lot better, but those early Remlins truly sucketh mightily, and Remington's customer service wins no awards, either.

I'd look for an older Marlin without the safety button, and they aren't hard to find. Marlin has made millions of the things, after all. They are pretty common in all the pawn shops around here.

Locally, the new ones run about $400, while older ones run a bit less, not much, but some. I bought mine for $350, and thought I stole it, honestly.
A few years ago, I passed up a 336A in .35 Remington for $299, it wasn't D&Ted for a scope, and I need eye help. I should have bought it anyway.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 10/31/15.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.