Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by RDFinn
What does Glen from Defiance Machine use on his actions ?

416 SS is his standard as most everyone seems to want stainless steel everything. My first action from his was CM and I love it. Several who have made 17-4 stainless actions have switched to 416. Jim Borden was on here a few months ago and said that he would be glad to enlighten me on 416 as an action steel if I called him. I really didn't want 416 so I didn't call. I also was interested in trying a new action but he wanted too much of a premium for CM. He says it costs him more and I can't argue that.

It is no great secret that 416 SS isn't as strong under cold conditions. In fact, John Krieger would not sell light contour SS barrels for a while (maybe still has that policy). This has always weighed in the back of my mind. Rifle looneys are always testing, pushing the limits and loading their own ammo. It just seems prudent to use the best material for the job.

Maybe if I lived in coastal Alaska or the gulf coast I would prefer stainless

Iv'e talked with Jim about Kriegers smaller contour policy in SS and jim pretty much said there is no basis for it, Hart, RC PN and many others make smaller contours in SS with no issues that Iv'e ever heard of , how cold would it have to be to cause a barrel to burst?