Had been part of early withdrawal of troops from Vietnam in late 1969 and was sent to Schofield Barracks on Oahu Hawaii. Great place to finish out my last 3 months in the army.

Anyway, my first Sunday stationed there, I went to eat lunch in our 100th Bn's messhall. We couldn't wear fatigues, had to wear dress greens or katchi uniform and we had to sign in at a table occupied by a buck sergeant to enter. First time I'd ever had to do these things.

I noticed the buck sergeant, who was also new to the unit from Vietnam. had not one purple heart, but three purple heart ribbons, with clusters on two of them.

As I leaned over to sign-in, I commented to the sergeant, you must have been, always walking point and one clumsy, but lucky guy. Sergeant was miffed at my comment, asking me why I'd said that. Your Purple Hearts with clusters, I replied. He ordered me to go inside, which I did.

Next day, I'm crossing the open area of our Battalion Quad and the buck sergeant sees me and begans walking towards me. Oh, oh, I tell myself, looks like I'm in for round two of my comment.

He will tell me I was right about always walking point, being clumsy and one lucky S.O.B. We became friends.