Stick,

I believe I have barrowed your quote and humbly beg your pardon for the transgression. The quote however is thought provoking and I feel deserving of some more discussion among the knowledgable forum members given your permission of course. grin Also thank you kindly for the advise in the optics thread it is much appreciated. smile I've decided to trip the Sako simply due to it is compromised for my intended use. I feel after some research that the Fixed 6 MQ is likely a mismatch for the 270 application. The 6 MQ it appears shines at 400 and beyond however I feel the 270 shines mostly at 300 and closer. I'm a close pay attentioner and I think I remember you saying some thing about a 162 A-MAX leaving the barrel at around 2700. cool I'm thinking 7mm-08 grin

This statement if I got it correct sets up at least one part of what I hope to discuss in this thread. I am under the assumption that the reason for the 2700 number is that you intend on useing this bullet for close and way out there. I've crunched some numbers and it certainly seem realistic if the 162 performs as one would like at 2700 ish velocities up close. I've never tried it however am assuming you likely have on more than one occasion. smile If this concept works well the versatility factor would be increased by a wide margin.

The other side of the bullets and headstamps theory in my mind is am I better off sticking with rifles for two intended purposes. For example I have a tikka T3 270 that Ive loaded with a 150 partition leaving the muzzle at 2830 ish. I feel very confident taking a shoulder shot on an elk out to around 400 yds. The flip side would be perhaps a 7mm-08 loaded with a 162 A-MAX at 2700. There is little doubt in my mind that the 162 would likely perform better at 400-600 ish yds.

I havent crunched the numbers however assume the 162 leaving at 150 fps slower than the 270 150 partition at 300 yds has likely caught up and rapidly outrunning the partition and with 10 more grains of bullet designed to expand very well at 2350 ish velocities all the way down to 1600 or so which brings one well beyond the 600 yd line. cool

I think I know which way I'm leaning however there is sometimes wisdom in the multitude of council so I'd like to hear others experience and thoughts. Not just on the example I have cited but on the theory in general. Are short range bullet becoming obsolete or perhaps lacking in versatility?

THANKS MUCH smile

FOREST

Last edited by Forest; 11/18/15.