Originally Posted by jwp475
If a Failsafe failed to expand I'd love to see a picture of one.

Pictures aren't necessary to determine if a bullet opened or not.

In 2002 I had the privilege of using my cow tag on the Bar-None ranch just up the road from Mule Deer's hometown of Townsend. I was packing an M70 in the new 300 WSM and had handloaded 180 "Failsafes" at 2,950. They were wonderfully accurate.

We located a group of cows on a hillside across a draw, I found the one I wanted, got a good rest and let her have it from around 320 yards. She didn't react one bit to the shot and kept slowly walking. It puzzled me how I could have missed, so I got on her again, and shot a second time. Same thing, absolutely zero reaction. She kept walking forward another 20 feet or so and suddenly went over, sliding down hill.

I got over to her and found both my shots were within 6" of each other, and both right through the lungs. Both had exited. When I got her open the lack of internal trauma was noticeable. Two neat holes right through the lungs. In other words, both bullets failed to open, just penciling through, hence the lack of reaction and nearly identical sized tiny entrance and exit holes.

Myself and various friends have had enough experiences like the above with Barnes X's, TSX's, TTSX's and Failsafes that I have sworn them off. When they work, they work well. When they fail, they fail miserably.

Partitions just don't have that sort of problem...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery