Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Front trigger first on my Merkel 500NE, otherwise it will double (the front trigger is lighter than the rear). Having said that, a friend managed to double my rifle twice in a row each time when he pulled the front trigger first.

Just read your response again. Did you mean you had a double discharge twice because the rear trigger was used first?
I also use a Merkel 500NE, so quite interested to hear.

I have only shot rear trigger first when I have loaded and fired single shots. When I fired the rear trigger (left hand barrel) I noticed that the right hand firing mechanism had also released - I could tell initially because both ejectors operated when I opened the action. I then paid attention to the cocking indicator pins on the side of the action, and sure enough they both tripped after firing rear trigger first.

This happens all the time with 570gn loads but never with my 440gn (reduced) loads.

It is either the light front trigger or maybe the fact that it is articulated - hinges forward so it doesn't damage your finger from recoil when operating the rear trigger. If I cock the rifle, push the front articulated trigger forward, and then let it snap back, if will trip the sear on the front trigger/right hand barrel.

The Merkel manual says to fire the front trigger/right hand barrel first for regulation purposes but I'm sceptical. Inside the action there is a spring loaded, recoil inertia interceptor block to stop the rear trigger/left hand barrel tripping when the rifle is fired (front trigger). The other trigger mechanism doesn't have this.

I believe the newer 140A Merkels in the big calibres have the interceptor on both trigger mechanisms now.

mauserand9mm,

You might want to speak with Hebert at Merkel. Mine doubled on me and I know it wasn't me hitting the rear trigger since the first bullet hit point of aim and the second bullet hit about 16" high. That's both rounds going off pretty close to the same time. Every time I've seen someone else double from hitting the rear trigger the second bullet is usually 6-8' high.

I bought the rifle used, unfired, so it was about 5 years old when I got it. I sent it to Merkel and they sent it back about 3 weeks later and said they couldn't find anything wrong but replaced the trigger mechanisms. I asked why they did that if nothing was wrong and all they said was, "we put the newer mechanisms in". Worked for me. Hasn't been a problem since. Other than the shooter.

Here's a link to another post showing a fellow that doubled mine last year.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~