Fair warning, a bit of a ramble, should you decide to read on. It seems there is more mythological lore around the use of DRs - especially the large caliber SxS - than any other rifle class. Although they're wonderfully magical devices, they remain mechanical machines.

I'm not a pro and haven't fired any classic British DRs, but have fired my Krieghoff 500 NE 3" several hundred times with loads ranging from light practice to full power 570s @ 2150 - a very effective hunting load with CEB monolithic solids. Having moved up to the 500 NE from shooting heavy medium cartridges in relatively light rifles extensively, tightly holding the pistol grip becomes an ingrained habit, albeit learned through painful experience.

I've always shot my DR front trigger first and have not experienced displacement of the trigger finger to the rear trigger, while allowing intentional rapid relocation for a a quick follow up. Much dry firing with snap caps, including starting from a low carry to the shoulder, rapid open sight acquisition and sequencing of trigger pull helps to build the form eventually automatically used at the range and in the field.

Having had to use a rapid follow up on my only elephant convinced me of the value of good practice, which prevents much of the unintentional operator associated doubling problem.

I've also found that a good way to avoid getting hammered by a large caliber DR at the bench is to use a bench only for practice development, and then only using a standing bench. Offhand at 25 & 50 yds., once loads are developed, is sufficient and much more useful for the type of hunting use these great rifles were intended for. Just my 2 (and 1/2) cents.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now