In 2014 670,000 applications were deemed valid and paid @ $1884 for a total dividend payout of $1.2 billion dollars.

http://pfd.alaska.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MXgVzMjdc_o%3d&tabid=506&portalid=6&mid=6428

I certainly think it would be worthwhile to reduce the amount significantly and apply the savings to education. (I'm thinking it might be useful on more than one level to do that. In the unorganized areas it would give everyone some direct buy-in. Urban businesses that are already taxed significantly would undoubtedly feel a significant pinch in annual dividend sales and might appreciate a break on school tax levies, not to mention residential tax payers.)

I would certainly support the idea of cutting the PFD back significantly. I don't believe it would be an easy sell to rural folks who already have a hard time making ends meet. IF - if there was some way to take advantage of the lower fuel prices common in many parts right now, and pass those lower costs on to the rural areas in exchange for lost or reduced dividends, I think that might be palatable. It makes no sense to keep soaking the small rural places just because people will pay whatever the dealers can get.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.