Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If people who have not a darn thing manage to migrate from South America, SE Asia, Africa, the Middle East etc, then I'm sure when the AK pastures are no longer green with PFD $'s, our near do wells will manage to find the where with all to head south.

As it is we're going to be looking at a migration of professionals that has taken since the mid 80's to build up the state should the government get stupid on taxes combined with a souring economy.

The state should be looking at doing what it can to retain the hard working people of the state and culling those that won't, but I fear they'll take the opposite tact.

I agree with you that people will immigrate to Alaska for the PDF and other benefits Alaska provides in conjunction with the Federal Government. But we must place the fault on our governments (State and Federal) for creating programs and passing laws that make all the benefits possible.

For example, we have our own "sanctuary city" in Alaska. In the past there have been arrangements to establish populations of immigrants from Russia and other places around the State. You can have a very large group of family and friends moving into any location in bush Alaska where there aren't jobs, and our State and Federal programs will take care of them. Since the cost of living is quite high in the bush, compared to Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks, the benefits are also higher.

Maybe Los Anchorage is not a Sanctuary city after all?
http://sanctuarycities.info/denial_letters/anchorage_alaska.pdf

Last edited by Ray; 02/13/16.