Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by johnw
So... How are the Henry rifles built? Are they blued steel? Alloy? Pot metal?

Never used one, and have not been much interested. Still...
The receiver is a zinc alloy casting. The barrel and working parts of the action {hammer, lever, bolt, lifter, etc.} are steel.

Haven't even looked at one in years, but IIRC they did have a fair bit of plastic on them at one time. Barrel bands and such. Did they do away with that?

The fairest thing to say about Henry rifles, since being straightforward in my subjective thoughts a couple of years ago weren't very popular, is to hold one in your hand before you purchase. They don't have the same track record that other common lever 22s have had for the last several decades when it comes to the quality of materials used. That doesn't matter to some folks apparently, and that's fine, but it isn't a fact that should be overlooked unless you really don't care. (Considering the number of people who insist on replacing quality aluminum parts on various bolt guns, I don't necessarily think it's a small point.)

BTW, my Henry 22 Mag has a painted 'pot metal' (zinc) receiver, a plastic barrel band, and a plastic front sight. It seems to function okay. I'm happy to hear that Henry has apparently answered the demand for higher quality by making some improvements in recent years. I stand behind the idea that holding one in hand is probably a good idea if you're thinking of purchasing.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.