Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
and there's no other tool I know of that will measure the wall thickness down at the web where separation may take place!

It may not give me a number, but a straightened out paper clip with an end bent into a short, 90 degree hook tells me what's going on down there.

Hmm.. How does that work? I've heard that before but I fail to see how rubbing a paper clip along the side wall tells you what you need to know! Without a number the case wall feels "kinda" ok?

Have you tried looking in the cases with a bright flashlight? I've found I can see a shadow ring before I feel anything with a paper clip. Obviously this works better on some cases than others; I use a lot of mil-surp 308 brass and check all of them this way.

Thanks! I couldn't remember how the paper clip method worked. I got an RCBS Casemaster as soon as I started loading and can measure exactly what the case thickness is anywhere inside the case! I like to keep an eye on the area just ahead of the web for possible separation issues. Somehow the feel method never gave me a warm fuzzy feeling! lol JMHO

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)