Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

The stove makes it easy to stop and have a hot cup of coffee or noodles, in a matter of minutes. On those days where the wet and the chill seems to cut right through ya, it makes a big difference to keeping me motivated. smile

I hear ya on that. I've used my Optimus for such purposes for years, but there's something satisfying about cooking up a hot snack/beverage with real fire. I'm gonna look into getting something like this.

Valsdad and Doc,

Like you guys, I tend to travel with a minimal amount of gear. I prefer to spend less time cooking/preparing big meals/fiddling around, and more time exploring, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc.

My backpack load-out is a lot more minimalist than most folks I meet on the trails, and I'm always looking at ways to reduce weight and carry smarter. When my kids were small, I carried a TON of gear to keep it "fun" for small minds & bodies. As they got older they caught the pack-and-travel-light bug. Well, some did, anyway. Eco-Daughter loves her big-ass tent and a car full of pillows and quilts. She calls it "glamping". She's also the hardest-charging backpacker of the bunch, though, so I can forgive the luxury. It is pretty comfy, I gotta admit.

One note on hammocks. There is a learning curve. They are extremely comfortable when done right though. One thing is that in most places where the temps dip, you really need some insulation underneath you, like an underquilt. Lots of stuff online about all that though.

Mac, funny you should mention that! I've been looking at buying a new down bag this year, but the new Enlightened Equipment bags and sleeping pads are blowing me away... I've always used my down bags like a quilt over a sleeping pad anyways (waaaaay more comfortable for me), except in truly cold weather...and these guys seem to have totally stolen my idea!

I think I'll sue them for that. As soon as Bob jumps off the Trump bandwagon I'll retain him for same...
grin

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars