We have some VERY capable and learned wood smiths that decry the use of metal in epoxy repairs,....and I CAN certainly see the value in using arrow shaft, fish pole, and my own personal fibrous, and somewhat absorbent choice,.....BAMBOO.
Chinese takeout places HATE me,....I only go to the ones with the good round sticks .

That said, I DO use a lot of stainless TIG filler rod,....I prep it by spooling the appropriate machine screw thread sized die on, loosely fitted, and than, holding the die, swill beer while the lathe does the grunt work,....Voila!,...Stainless "re-Bar" !

No comebacks on any stock repairs yet, for more years than I really care to acknowledge.

Liquid acraglas, thinned with that evil smelling "thinner" makes a damned good preliminary "Soak",....but a word of caution, it DOES seem to accelerate the cure,...so all ducks in a row is (as usual with any bedding) the order of the day.

Ed,....take that stock and plunk it in a piece of ABS sewer pipe, or a rocket storage tube,....fill it with NAPA's diatomaceous earth based floor dry and stick it in the HOTTEST spot you can find,....agitate periodically.
That big ML's stock, and MANY others have had that ride here,....and does it ever pull oil ! I just leave em' out in the Summer,....that black ABS, or OD green cardboard gets too hot to hold.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain