I've owned a vx6 (3-18x44) and have fondled the vortex amg.

The two scopes are different and imo comparing two different beasts; 4x vs 6x zoom ratio (vortex ffp 6-24 30mm tube; Leupold sfp 3-18 30mm tube, 4-24 34 mm tube).

I'm not speaking a side by side comparison, but both had good glass. Leupold's eye box is amongst the best I've experienced. The vortex did tighten as I zoomed higher.

I think one should decide the purpose of the scope and the feature desires of the user when picking the two.

If one was mostly looking at turret twisting, the vortex amg should be one up on the vx6. However, I hunted and twisted turrets in multiple conditions with the vx6 and never had any problem.

I've never fully jumped on the vortex band wagon, but I am intrigued with the amg. As I was told multiple times by the rep that is more of a 2017 available scope,so I'm not worrying too much about it now.

It still has rough turret edges like I've experienced with all vortex scopes (pst broke skin) why they don't change that I don't know.

I'd like to see them release a 4-20 as I feel like it's a feature rich scope (I like the lockable turrets) and still light/compact enough to carry for hunting.