Not sure on exactly what it entailed at that time. But since I and my wife both have the rifle ones and I"m 2/3 of the way to the pistol one I"ll relate it for what it means today.

Pistol. 4 matches a year max. Takes 30 points to get the badge. Fired 50 yards one handed, iron sights. 10 rounds. No sighters. Then 25 yards 2 strings of 5 rounds each, 20 seconds timed fire. No sighters. Then 25 yards , same course of fire 10 seconds each, rapid fire. Folks that are already distinguished do not count, all that are in the "hunt" count and only the top 10% get awards. IE one medal given if 10 folks shoot. Points awarded vary from a low of 6 to a high of 10 if you win the match. Xring 3 inches, 10 ring 6 inches and so on.(Trust me it is not easy.)

Rifle no sighters, 10 rounds standing offhand, no sling 200 yards. 10 minutes. 10 ring is 6 inches. Same target for sitting rapid fire at 200 yards, no sighters, start standing, fall to position, fire 2, swap mags, fire 8 more in 60 seconds. Go to 300 yards repeat rapid drill but in 70 seconds. Go to 600 yards, 20 shots in 20 minutes, 10 ring is 12 inches.

All matches, Iron sights only.

Check out www.odcmp.com for more info on distinguished matches, commonly called leg matches.

Sounds like your dad was a good shot. Back then, probably shot with the 45 and the 1903 springfield rifle on a target called 5V with a bit larger "10 rings"

BTW these days it takes about a 270 out of 300 to make the "cut" or earn points with a pistol. And it takes about 475 out of 500 to do it with a rifle on average. I"ve never been a good pistol shot, but can shoot a rifle fair at least.

Also could have a badge number on the medals. My badge was circa 1200s and wifes 1300s and thats been 10 or more years back.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....