Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
When troops were/are deployed to stabilize civil disturbance, riots, etc, ROE will dictate when deadly force is authorized.

It's really that simple.

When the troops are taking fire, they will return fire without checking passports. I promise.

I think in the beginning the troops will follow orders but will very quickly become sickened of the killing of their fellow citizens, Just a hunch.

When you are a Corporal and the senior man on a patrol, or at a checkpoint, or security post, you will react based on the situation and your ROE. The Corporal will not be calling higher HQ for 'orders' on what to do.

This fearmongering about being 'ordered' to fire on citizens, is so stupid it doesn't even rate reply. It is fodder for simple minds, and simple people, who have never been anywhere, or done anything, and are clueless about the world around them.

Just like when troops disregarded the Constitution and disarmed citizens after Katrina, you mean those types of orders?

Mag,

I was a squad leader in the 9th Ward when that order came down. My CO issued the OPORD. During the back brief, I stated, "Sir, that's an unconstitutional illegal order." He said, "you're right, we're not going to do it." Two of our Battalion's companies did not confiscate, two did, for one day. The Battalion Commander refused to comply within 12 hours and our Battalion, as a whole did not.

This discussion does come up over beers from time to time. The majority of Infantry types are very constitutionally minded. Not so much from the REMF types. Probably why the left resents vets and grunts so much. The actually warriors are not idiots.

In 2008 the military as a whole voted the lowest level of R since the draft ended. It still voted 88% R. Liberal cowards do not tend to join the Mil and definitely not the combat arms.

As far as left leaning politicos becoming general officers, got it, it is an issue. But it's the low ranking Soldiers and Marines that make the decisions whether or not to pull triggers.