Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
What cartridge is desired?

Much as I like Ruger #1's, for light weight I'd also agree going with a Hagn, Dakota 10, or a Soroka.

But for tradition's sake, Low Wall Winchesters are pretty light. Ballard Rifle Co is also selling a Low Wall action, that would be strong enough for modern cartridges.

I've thought about taking one of the current Browning/Winchester Low Walls and having it rebored to .30-30. That's not a full custom project of course, but it's fairly easy and inexpensive.

I've also seen an original thin side High Wall where the action was ground down to all the same width, and it wound up pretty light as well.

My initial cartridge thought was for a .22 Hornet or maybe a .30-30. Here lately though I have had this creeping feeling that a .220 Swift would be fun in a light single. Twist it right to shoot TTSXs or Partitions reliably and it would be about all I need for our Southern deer, pigs and varmints of opportunity.

Definitely not interested in any of the Low Walls or High Walls. They just don't do anything for me. I am a much bigger fan of the lines on the "Farquharson-esque" actions.

The Soroka leaves me cold. The way the under lever pivot and trigger structure hangs below the action just does nothing for me. I am a much bigger fan of the Hagn, Dakota and Ruger where this structure is tucked into the action and stock.