Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Welcome to the forum Kestrel. Hope you keep us updated on how your 350 RM does, cool project you have going.

Thanks for the welcome. smile

An update:

I am in the process of using up the last of my Winchester 158gr JHP's before going to the excellent Hornady 158gr XTP. My experience is that these Win158's provide ~50% larger groups _in good loads_ compared to the XTP - so I would expect that a 3/4" group with them would give me ~1/2" groups with the XTP. After I've defined the performance/velocity envelope with the lower-grade bullets I will naturally do the fine tuning with my XTP's.

All primers tested are Winchester Large Rifle - reputed to be on the 'hot' side which should assist the SR4759.

Red Dot:
From other testing I have had consistently excellent results from subsonic Red Dot loadings so I am optimistic on this combo.
My lowest RD charge for these (8.5 grs) were supersonic already @ 1195 fps, so I didn't bother to shoot them for groups. I'll break down my relatively few testing loads and go lower the next time around, 6.5 to 8.0 grains. The bottom load will be only ~20% loading density which I do not want to go below.

SR4759:
3 shot groups, 50 yds distance.
14.8 grains: 853 fps, STD 22. Quite smoky. 3.0" c-c w/ vertical stringing. Certainly on the low end of ignition consistency for this charge.
15.9 grains: 952 fps, STD 10. Quite smoky. 0.75" c-c.
17.0 grains: 991 fps, STD 20. Quite smoky. 1.2" c-c.
18.1 grains: 1085 fps, STD 13. Much cleaner. 0.55" c-c.

Excellent preliminary results from the last loading. smile

Will next post back with the Red Dot results.

I have another top powder candidate with 800x (my guess would be to start at 9/10/11 gr), which I will probably make a serious effort with if RD disappoints (not likely IMHO).

Best regards,

Last edited by Kestrel; 07/22/16.