Originally Posted by mag410
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Have been playing around with H110 too, but I'm not sure what I think of it yet, and wouldn't recommend it, as it seems to produce high pressure quite quickly in bigger cases.

H110, and Win 296 which is the same powder, is/are not a good choice in reduced loads. It only burns well at near full capacity and at full pressure. Winchester used to publish a warning in their .357/41/44 Magnum data"

"Do not reduce powder charges with 296 Powder. These loads must be used exactly as shown. A reduction in powder charge or change in components can cause dangerous pressures."

I have burned many pounds of H110/296 in .410 bore skeet loads and also use it in .30 Carbine and .300 Blackout loads.

Michael
Not to step on your toes, but that is in revolvers. There are others on this site that can tell you that there are reasons for leaving little to no space in revolver cartridges with that powder. In guns without cylinder gaps and forcing cones, i.e. standard chambered barrels, it is not an issue.

Warnings like the one you name, that don't give details, but rather, speak to the lowest common denominator, are annoying to me. Others can attest to this, but my experience is that powders have burn rates in cartridges at pressures. The variables define the specifics. There is really little else involved. In a chambered barrel, you have to put powder in a case according to its burn rate and pressure.

Like I said in my post, I don't recommend H110 for reduced loads in large cases. Not because it isn't safe, but because so far the pressure curve in my tests gets steep fast. Reduced loads with fast powders in big cases isn't for your average follow-the-current-manual handloader. There are a lot of considerations, and extreme caution is a must, because going off-book means I am responsible for my own decisions, and can blame no one else if things go wrong. I've spent literally thousands of hours on studying and testing this stuff. I think I have begun to get a handle on some of the basics.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask. If you want to tell me how I am wrong, you better bring more than 'this thing says that'. I know what it says. I know what is written in many things across many topics.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.