Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Dirt. those late African hunts were the ones I wondered about.. He made a trip there almost every year for many years.. I knew he made lots of hunts while in the army..
You have some great stuff on his dad.. I enjoyed the material on the Browning..

How did Askins hunt that much? I knew a guy who never seemed to have two dimes to rub together. He hunted in Africa many times, killing six elephants, a lion, many kudu, etc., and even a tiger in India.

How did he do it? He hooked up as a booking agent for PHs in Africa and then went along on the trip to "help" with the clients. When the clients went home, he took over their licenses and shot the game still on their quotas. Then he would approach a farmer and offer, for room and board for a month or two, to thin out the game on the farmer's farm/ranch. He stayed in Africa for months at a time, hunting always and with no cash outlay.

His daughter ended up fairly wealthy, owning a DHL-like delivery service in Botswana. His son was killed in the Rhodesian bush wars.

His adventures were largely unknown but were not too different from Askins. He died last year at 93. too bd he couldn't, or didn't, write about it.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.