Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Agar426
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The 100 grain hornady while not ideal works well on deer . I have shot a few and my brother has as well with no problems.

Thanks for the feedback! This will be used for both Mule deer and antelope. I have also used it on Barbary sheep. Would the hornady round be sufficient for the Barbary, or even on elk? I have a .300 Win Mag I use for elk, but I have always been curious about the 257 on elk.

I don't think I would use it on Elk . I would use a partition,accubond or ttsx before that on something big. I think with those bullets at normal hunting ranges it would work fine.

Agreed, I would prefer the ttsx for elk. Honestly, I don't "need" it for elk, having the .300 Win Sako in the safe. I have always wanted to try it though. You know, the once every 10 years I draw an elk tag....grrr!

I love the gun itself, and with the tsx, it was dialed in pretty well to the RZ-800 reticle. It actually became my go to rifle for most of my hunts. Lots of confidence in it.

I realize that re-loading is the way to go, but I don't shoot that much. Who knows, maybe I would shoot more?!?! For this upcoming deer season, I can always fall back on my .270 Win, as I have tons of ammo for it, and it is dialed in. Also, I can practically buy ammo for it at the gas station! wink I guess I am just bugged at Weatherby's lack of delivery on their part. Their web site is terrible, their customer service, while responsive, is basically full of it based on their response that it would be available a year ago August. They are super gung ho on their new cartridge, as well as their new marketing strategy with their ammo (two lines of ammo, select and select plus, which seems to me like an excuse for new box art, with no new offerings), even though nobody is carrying the ammo. Ugghh!

I know, I know...my rant supports the re-loading argument. That being said, shouldn't the parent company of a given cartridge have some options for ammo for that cartridge?

Sigh....