Originally Posted by 25-06 Lilja
I'm wanting a 7MM REM. MAG.
I want to spend around $1,000 for the rifle and match it with a scope that will work in woods, cutovers, and gaslines. Scope can be $1,000 also.
What do you guys recommend?

When I see posts like this I always wonder if the goal is to spend the money and get what for me would be a safe queen or get an accurate, reliable rifle/scope setup.

Nothing wrong with either goal, by the way. I love safe queens except when they are in MY safe. Beautiful rifles are eye pleasers. My problem is a lack of space in the safe and an attitude that, with the exception of the .22 and possibly the .24 calibers, all my rifles are ‘elk’ rifles and I’ve found elk hunts can be hard on a rifle’s good looks. Hence the majority of my recent purchases have had synthetic stocks, not things of beauty but very functional.

Good choice on the 7mm RM, by the way. My first centerfire (1982) was a Ruger M77 in 7mm RM and I’ve never needed anything else. (So why are all those other rifles in my safe? Because I enjoy them. Best reason for getting what you want rather than something that will just suffice.)

A couple months ago I got Leupold to install a MOA elevation knob on my Vari-X III 3.5-10xAO. After playing with it a couple times I second the suggestion posted above to invest in a scope with knobs.

Half the fun of getting a new rifle and scope is the anticipation and enjoyment spent doing the research on what to get. Don’t be in too big a hurry, enjoy the journey!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.