Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by bakerloo
Originally Posted by KuiLei
Originally Posted by bakerloo

... Common core math is designed to teach number sense in the early grades. Word problems are a major part of the new standards. "Renaming addition?" Never heard of it and I teach common core math every day. I don't read about on the internet...

Spectrum Math, grade 3, published 2015, corresponding to CA state standards. Need me to post a picture from the book where it demonstrates renaming? Or can you take my word for it that I didn't just "read about it on the internet"?

You can buy these books at Walmart. Below is the list of curriculum approved by CA.
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/im/sbeadopted2014mathprgms.asp

Ok - get yourself a copy at your nearby Walmart then. I think my wife picked these up at a local bookstore, as there is no Walmart within 30 or so miles. At any rate, regarding renaming and the CA curriculum:

From reference.com

Renaming is a concept in mathematics that is taught to elementary-aged school children, usually around grade three or four. It teaches students the importance of breaking three-digit whole numbers down to their tens and ones in order to do a myriad of mathematical computations. Renaming can help children estimate the answer to multiplication and division problems, compute complex subtraction and addition problems, and gain a better understanding of decimal numbers and their uses.

And from http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.PDF

... Understand that in adding or subtracting three-digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.

So, renaming does appear to be part of the CA curriculum. Though in the CA text it is referred to as "compose" and "decompose". But I could be wrong. Is there a difference between "renaming" 339 as 33 tens and 9 ones, vs saying 339 decomposes to 33 tens and 9 ones? Would it be less or more decomposition to say that 339 is 3 hundreds, 3 tens and 9 ones?

Renaming means changing the name...
Decomposing means breaking down.
Understanding that 343 is 3 hundreds 4 tens and 3 ones is very important. Place value is huge for kids.