Originally Posted by IntruderBN
Originally Posted by smokepole
Not according to the link MIKEWERNER posted, here are a few excerpts:

"Officials inspect the fence twice a year and ranch hands check it regularly, Jones said, almost on a daily basis in summer months. Bad fences can cost the ranch its investment in domestic game animals, he noted, as the elk to stock a preserve cost from from $3,000 to $10,000 each."

"Since the eleven (elk) from the Howe ranch were tested, he said about 18 more elk have been imported from other areas around the country to keep the guided hunts going in the preserve, which earn in the $5,000 range and up. Testing on those elk taken by hunters has been negative for CWD, officials and Jones said."

Holy smokes! If true, I need to sell our cattle and re-assess what to do with our 7000 acres. Beef price is in the dumps anyway

Remember the Indian reservation in I think Arizona? One of the young men went college. When he returned he convinced the tribe to forget the cattle business and advertise for high dollar elk hunts. They required the elk to be a five point or better before the hunter could kill it. The rest is history.

I remember one guy paid "only" $25,000 for a fantastic head. I told my wife at the time, "When you're making $50,000 a week you get used to numbers like that not being big."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter