Very good read!

I've probably owned over a dozen 600/660 Remingtons and I liked the short over-all rifles, in the day, when they were new. I'm down to one - a 350 RM. I wish that It was a little longer but it works fine as is. I still have a few short action Remington 700's, 722, 783 and a 7.
Almost all my new bolt action rifles have been longer actions, including Winchesters, Mausers, a Tikka, a Ruger or two and others.
The main issue I have with the short bolt actions (and lever actions) is not having the ability to chase the leade. Short magazine length limits seating depth, which to me is the biggest short coming.
I've noticed that many if not most of my long action rifle barrels are getting such that I load the bullets out further for accuracy (I don't want to re-barrel). The long actions are more forgiving and as a side benefit I think easier to get cartridges to feed.

In 50+ years of hunting I can count on one hand shots I've made on game over 200 yards. (Antelope and White Tail) I don't plan on doing it again. Shooting at long range at game animals is as foreign to me as voting Democrat and just as enjoyable.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally