I'd like to add why I have become a big short action fan. Bolt throw. Not for the 0.2 seconds it saves me, but because I can keep my cheek weld throughout. I can empty the magazine with my eyes planted behind the scope the whole time. Hunting deer in hardwoods, it is nice to be able to immediately cycle another round while keeping my eyes on the fleeing deer. If an accurate follow up shot is needed, I'm on target.

Add to this the often lower recoil, more efficient cases of many short action cartridges and often lighter weight. There is nothing good hand loads in a short action can't do on this continent.

This whole myth that a short action is faster or better is based on a personal preference not real life experiences. Dangerous game is shot with long cartridges and 2 world wars were fought with long actions and I doubt a short action would have changed the outcome a bit.

Thank goodness for the internet, so we can find out so much worthless trivia to base our daily decisions on. Push feed being inferior to controlled round feed is another myth. If it was true, you would think there would be cemeteries all over the dark continent with dead hunters that were killed because their push feed guns choked.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.