Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Those are solid Mississippi deer! What area?

She killed it at our new lease in Flowers (Near Vicksburg).
It was weird deer, needed killing.
older deer, 17+ spread, only 6 pts, no brow tines, and the other tines were short.
His neck was not swelled up and the back looked like he had lost weight, skinny on the backstraps and back legs. Field dressed only a little over 110, so about 145 live weight.

Funny thing. I had just came to get her at 11 a.m. I sat down on the ground beside her sack chair at the end of the ridge/bluff. We were talking and she's looking at me and see's the deer past my head and tells me to be quiet a buck is behind me. I turn and look and just lay down so she could shoot. it's a steep angle down (the bluff)and about 50 yards and a front quartering to her shot. Tip of the barrel ab out 20 inches above my face. (it's a good thing I trust her, lol)

Bullet hit on front shoulder. You could put 3 fingers in the entry hold and exit was a little larger. great lung shot.
I'm wondering about the entry hole.
I notice something weird on the horn. Part of a base burr was broken off with a fresh nick on the hide where the horn part broke off.

With the angle and the deer's head placement I'm wondering if the bullet scraped the burr breaking it off and turned sideways to make the entry wound so large?