I've killed one elk with a 257R and 120 NPt. It's a pristine M722 with the Balvar mounts and B&L 2.5-8 scope that I bought years ago.

The thing is, regardless of caliber NPt's that are heavy-ish for caliber all tend to behave and penetrate the same. It's only the hole that varies in size!

And the photo of my son's elk #5 is a argument for a premium bullet.

The cow stepped out of the timber at about 150 yds from our ambush spot. There was a log covering the lower third of her body. My dear 17 year old son over-compensated and plum shot over the top of her. The cow wheeled and took off heavily quartering away.

My son, having learned the value of a quick follow up shot jacked another round in quicker than I've ever seen him and shot again.

The second shot entered the front of the hind quarter through the meat, into the flank, through the guts, clipped the liver, drilled a lung and the bullet landed against the ribcage on the off front shoulder.

An example where a less-than-stellar shot worked with a premium bullet. The NPt traversed 3 ft + of elk, including the paunch.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.