I've been spending alot of time planning next years elk hunt. Google Earthing a couple new places in both Colorado and Wyoming. In the past 3-4-5 years it seems I spend alot of time hunting and killing elk in the timber. Shots on my last 3 elk were: 50 yards, 50 yards, 30 feet. I used 180 Partition launched by a 300 WSM and 150 gr Partition launched by a 270. All elk were sufficiently dead grin

The thing I'd really like to see is 2 holes. Two of the three elk above were almost head on - getting an exit isn't likely because asking a bullet to drive through 3-4 feet of elk is a tough ask.

So, I'm chewing on a few things. I'm currently thinking a 200 gr Partition from my 30-06 or 300 WSM might be a better mousetrap. Which got me to thinking about larger calibers/heavier bullets. I've had several 35 wh through the years shooting mostly 250 Partitions. That would be ideal for timber - except a 200 gr from my 300 WSM shoots flatter and likely penetrates as far.

In full disclosure, I never really bought into the whole timber rifle concept as some apply it. I see no sense in using something that can't reach out to 3-400 yards if the situation arises. I'd feel handicapped to carry such a rifle but have done so, especially the 45-70.

I also have developed an affinity for light rifles. Anything over 8 lbs all up is too heavy for my style of hunting which involves roaming 2-3-4 miles from the road.

So for those that have done so, any advantage in timber situation to using a 338-06 shooting a 210 or 225, 35 wh shooting a 225/250, or any other such cartridge, over a 200 gr 30 cal?

I can't really see it but am curious what others think. Plus I like thinking about all things elk hunting!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.