Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Nice to see this thread come back.

When you think about it, a 44 or 45 sixgun launching ~300 gr cast bullet @ 1200-1300 fps has similar ballistics to a civil war era target rifle. Not surprising that such bullets are capable of penetrating man or beast at extended ranges.

An interesting perspective, and one I had not thought of. Thanks!

Years ago (okay more like a decade and change) I remember reading an article about the 458-400 express, essentially a shortened necked down 45-70 (easier ways to get there with todays commercial 480 brass) The stated goal of the round was to match the black powder 45-70: 400 grs @ 1200 fps.

Don't know why I didn't make the connection sooner, but really the 44 mag and 45 colt with 300-330 gr cast bullets @ 1200-1300 fps aren't far off that mark. I don't have a ballistics calculator, but would expect those heavy bullets would still be traveling 700 fps way out there. And I have no doubt at that sedate velocity they'd still be capable of significant penetration.

One of these days I need to get into long range handgun shooting. There's a decent spot less than an hour from home on the silt flats that would allow me to shoot to extended ranges. And the wet silt would provide some means of measuring penetration at extended ranges.