>>Hmmmmm....Are you sure about the 8-10 grain powder >>increase? That sounds like an awful large gain in powder >>capacity.
>>If necessary, I think I could find some of that 30 Gibbs >>brass that I had, and run another check on it........tho it is >>30 caliber, not 6.5

My curiosity got the best of me.......and so I DID dig out some 30 Gibbs WW brass. Sitting alongside of my 30-06 WW brass, it does indeed look business-like and impressive. A manly looking case!

The Gibbs brass is unsized, and so is the 06 brass. It's just as it came from the respective chambers, after being fired. Both cases were 2.497" long. Again, the Gibbs case looks considerably larger.

I filled each case to the mouth of the case......full full and level......of IMR 4350 powder. No vibration, no drop tube, no compression. I did this several times, to assure a consistent technique.

The WW Gibbs case held 69.2 grains, the WW 30-06 case held 65.9 grains of powder.

So in this instance, with the brass I have, the 30 Gibbs WW case holds 3.3 grains more than the 06 WWcase......of IMR 4350.

The Gibbs line of 30-06-based wildcats has always fascinated me. Rocky Gibbs was a bit different......... I have his book, and also quite a few bits of info and magazine articles, etc.

Now that chronograping and pressure measuring equiupment is available for the average enthusiast, it appears that Mr. Gibbs was maybe slightly optimistic/enthusiastic about his line of 06 based wildcats. Probably more "enthusiastic" than Parker Ackley.......

Lee Carkenord Denver CO