Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
Oh, I'm going to step in it now! Grain-free is a fad. There, I said it for all to hear.

Dogs can successfully consume pretty much anything. Why? Because they are scavengers, not obligate carnivores. Wild canines generally eviscerate their prey and eat the guts first which, incedentally, are generally full of vegetable matter.

Why do some dogs shed or have other problems while consuming brands x,y,z dog food? They may have been fed poor quality dog food in the past or they may have food allergies. Interestingly, the most common food allergy in dogs is beef! I think shelling out extra for dog food simply because its defies logic.

Bottom line, if you like your current dog food, you should keep your dog food.

Now, because I am a masochist I will rail against raw diets. I really discourage feeding of raw diets, especially poultry, because food borne pathogens are so common. Not only do you expose your pet to things like E. coli and Campylobacter you are also contaminating the food prep area as well. I especially discourage raw diets in homes with little children or the elderly.

Oh yeah, I'm a veterinarian, not some crank with a keyboard.
Veterinarians are divided on the raw diet controversy. Stating you're one means little, therefore, when it comes to this topic. Personal experience with a raw diet means more.